Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Saw the GP today

(23 Posts)
Fabster Wed 28-Oct-09 13:31:27

I have to have blood tests to check for coeliac disease. I am also currently suffering with hand and arm pain and have a 3 1/2 hour drive to do tomorrow.

What will I eat if I do have coeliac disease?

Iklboo Wed 28-Oct-09 13:33:42

I think gluten free foods which all supermarkets stock these days.
Is spelt flour OK for coeliacs?

cocolepew Wed 28-Oct-09 13:37:31

I think rye is ok as well. Good luck for tomorrow smile.

CMOTdibbler Wed 28-Oct-09 13:38:56

It seems awful to start with - all you can think of is all the things you can't eat- but you soon get used to it.

Start simple:

Breakfast - Genius GF bread (from Tescos and some Asda) made into toast, or Doves Farm gf cornflakes

Lunch - salad with rice or new potatoes, or a GF pitta bread (you toast them lightly before making them into sarnies)

Dinner - try meat and veg to start with (you don't have to worry about too many ingredients), curry is usually OK - you can have poppadoms and rice with it, or GF pasta (I favour Rizopia) and sauce

Don't put anything in your mouth without checking the ingredients and allergy listings - it will get easier

I get hand pain with my coeliac disease, and it made a world of difference to me when I went GF

gomez Wed 28-Oct-09 13:39:24

No wheat rye or barley for Coeliacs. Or oats when first diagnosed - but if symptoms settle then you can introduce oats after 12 months and see how you get on. Have a look at the Coeliac UK website for more info.

It is not that bad really once you get into the grove.

CMOTdibbler Wed 28-Oct-09 13:39:54

Spelt and Rye are NOT OK for coeliacs btw. Safe grains are rice, corn, buckwheat and quinoa

corblimeymadam Wed 28-Oct-09 13:40:27

Message withdrawn

gomez Wed 28-Oct-09 13:41:05

Oh but don't change your diet just know - you need to remain eating gluten until after diagnosis or your might get a false negative.

cocolepew Wed 28-Oct-09 13:42:07

Oopps sorry blush

Fabster Wed 28-Oct-09 14:55:16

Thank you all.

I had to take DS2 to the GP. I wasn't ignoring you.

DH made me some bread with gluten free flour but it wasn't good for me. I have been told I need spelt flour but now I am confused???

I have a long drive tmw and the doc said I should take nurofen/ibruproven. Having never taken them, when do I? Before I set off or when it starts hurting?

Gomez- I haven't eaten normal bread for a while apart from a tiny piece of baguette earlier. If I am having bloods taken on Monday when do I need to eat normally again? I don't want to start sooner than I need because of my reactions to it.

Fabster Wed 28-Oct-09 14:56:31

Belgianbun - I have had a look at that site already so it is good to know it is a helpful site. Thanks.

CMOTdibbler Wed 28-Oct-09 15:35:16

You can't have spelt flour - tbh, most gf bread is a bit grim, and will never be like normal bread. Genius is the best of a bad bunch though, and is good enough to make sandwiches with.

Take some ibuprofen tonight, then in the morning, then 4 hours later. This should give you the best pain control you could get in a short space of time.

Are you eating pasta/biscuits/cake now ? That would give you enough gluten for the blood test

Fabster Wed 28-Oct-09 16:04:15

I can't find Genius bread in Tesco or Asda.

Thanks for the meds advice. Just hope we have some.y

Not really eating any of the stuff mentioned, none in. I can go shopping on Saturday and get some biscuits then.

Fabster Wed 28-Oct-09 16:05:10

I have asthma so was concerned about the meds but the GP said take one rather than two tablets.

CMOTdibbler Wed 28-Oct-09 16:08:53

It'll be in the Freefrom section - although Tescos stock is a bit variable.

Are you eating wheaty breakfast cereal ? If not, the blood test could be a false negative - you need to be eating a 'normal' gluten diet for 2 weeks before the blood test for it to be accurate

Fabster Wed 28-Oct-09 16:12:05

I don't really eat proper things for breakfast. I have been known to have had pasta salad, microchips, crackers for breakfast once home from dropping the kids at school in the last couple of weeks. I did buy melon to have today but was use by yesterday. <smacks hand, then regrets it as painful.>

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 28-Oct-09 16:18:21

Ibuprofen is 6 hourly and maximum of 3 doses in 24 hours.

Sorry, I know nothing about coeliac but I hope everything is ok tommorrow.

Fabster Wed 28-Oct-09 16:23:04

Thank you.

I am packing now. Getting excited though will miss Dh sad. We had a bad couple of days (all my fault) and I just want to be with him.

Charliemouse500 Wed 28-Oct-09 16:39:30

I've just had the same blood tests - I hadn't eaten anything with gluten in for about 6 weeks. When I mentioned this to the nurse at the hospital she said to start eating wheat asap, and as much as possible (this was a week before the blood test). However, they also requested another test which looks for tissue type as well as antibodies, which can get a positive if you have been on a GF diet / limited exposure - perhaps you should phone the doc's and tell them you have been wheat free for a while before test?

Very best of luck with your tests, but just wanted to reassure you that the GF diet isn't that bad once you get used to it. My dad has been Coeliac for the last 25 years, and all the free-from stuff you can get in the supermarket is great....you can even get GF pizza!

Fabster Wed 28-Oct-09 16:51:10

I think I will just eat normally from now on and hope for the best. Thank you.

mumof2000 Thu 29-Oct-09 09:11:29

Morning Fab ...found you smile, how are you today ? hope arm/shoulder bit better .

you away for Halloween?

Fabster Sat 31-Oct-09 12:53:21

Hello

This is weird. For the last couple of days I have eaten normally and have had no pain after eating certain things, no rushing to the loo. Not sure what to think now. I am wondering if the recent bowel issues have been the tablets I have been taken.

Fabster Sat 31-Oct-09 12:57:33

My arm and hand coped fine with the drive but with the pain I am experiencing DH thinks I have arthritis. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now