Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Elevated BP and cholestrol

(2 Posts)
PrettyCandles Wed 28-Oct-09 11:42:32

Not me, MIL.

Apparently her GP said he wouldn't be worried about one or other on their own, but both together meant that one needed treating. What puzzles us is why he would choose to treat BP, rather than cholestrol. Surely BP drugs are far 'worse' than statins? Also, her diet is extremely good, so it's going to be very difficult for her to do anything about the cholestrol without using medication. She's unfortunately the type who tends to accept whatever the dr says, but may query it if she has enough info.

nightcat Wed 28-Oct-09 17:37:39

hi PC
I am not a dr, but my understanding is that cholesterol in blood will try to protect the walls of blood vessels from damaged caused by increased bp. As far as I know, the two are interlinked.

I would be inclined to inspect the diet very closely and maybe tweak that and retest before emabarking on any drug regime.

My cholesterol was elevated recently and I had thought I had very good diet. Having talked this through with my dr, we pinpointed increased cholesterol to nuts (I tended to snack on them; goodness in itself but should be eaten in moderation). My bp was normal, but I usually have low bp, so it was effectively raised for me too. I have now reduced nuts and will re-test at some point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now