Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lump on my labia!

(16 Posts)
Lucyand2 Wed 28-Oct-09 09:23:44

I got my period yesterday and noticed I felt a bit sore when I wiped. I looked this morning and there is a swollen lump on the labia majora. It feels quite sore sad
Is it worth waiting until my period finishes then going to the docs?
Has anyone else had this? Feeling a bit worried about it

CMOTdibbler Wed 28-Oct-09 09:26:28

Almost undoubtedly a blocked pore/spot or a bartholins cyst. See how it goes for a few days, and go to the Drs if it doesn't resolve - it might just need lancing.

I get these a lot tbh

Lucyand2 Wed 28-Oct-09 10:30:51

Lancing! Perhaps taking my 2 LO's with me for this is a bad plan!

homicidalmummymaniac Wed 28-Oct-09 10:40:40

Phone the doctor and ask their advice. I don't think lumps anywhere should be taken lightly and should not be passed off as 'almost undoubtedly a blocked pore/spot'(sorry).

Both my sister and cousin have had 'lumps' removed from this area and my aunt died from vulval cancer (it's a cancer that is not really known/talked about and a lot of people pass it off as a blocked pore etc)

I'm not wanting to scare anyone here but if I make more people aware of this cancer by reading this, then that can only be a good thing.

Please look at the macmillan cancer page for more info and make sure all your female friends and family know about it.

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/type/vulval-cancer/about/symptoms-of-vulval-cancer

But please at least phone the doctor.

angelene Wed 28-Oct-09 10:45:35

I have on occasion had small lumps here, they have been infected hair follicles and with a bit of more careful cleaning they have gone away in a couple of days. I think they may have started with my period too - TMI alert - I use towels rather than tampons so a, ahem, heavy night could result in a less than fresh ladygarden blush

But please do get it checked out, I don't think you can be too careful smile

alypaly Wed 28-Oct-09 11:10:22

sounds like a blocked pore which might have turnedinto a cyst. Sometimes they get a yellow head,like a spot and you can pop them....but it hurts.

CMOTdibbler Wed 28-Oct-09 13:21:28

The appearance of vulval cancer is quite different to a spot though, and seeing if it has a head after 2 days, then going to the Dr if not, is a sensible course of action imo. You wouldn't, for instance, go immediatly to the GP for a sore lump on your face that had come up quickly, but would assume it was a spot - no different just because it is on the labia

I have, unfortunatly, seen and treated, vulval cancers, so am not giving random advice

Lucyand2 Wed 28-Oct-09 14:12:46

Thankyou for all the responses, I'm going to wait until my period finishes and if it hasn't cleared up I'll go straight to the GP's.
It only appeared when my period started as my DP didn't notice it during sex 2 days ago and I know he would say something.
It doesn't seem to have a head on it, it's just a red angry lump. I didn't get chance to look closely as my 3 yr old appeared asking to look in the mirror - which is why I should lock the bathroom door

bodycolder Wed 28-Oct-09 14:22:39

I have had vulval cancer and was very lucky with the outcome but it wasn't a spot HTH

Malificence Wed 28-Oct-09 16:01:19

Squeeze it , it will hurt like a bitch but if it's a spot or blocked gland then you'll get rubbish out of it - I had a run of them a few months back on my inner and outer lips and my perineum, not pleasant. I put it down to the lube we were using, it was the durex silky stuff and since stopping using it, the problem hasn't returned.

mathanxiety Wed 28-Oct-09 16:05:48

Bartholins (sp?) cyst? I got these while pg. Can't be too careful, though -- have it checked out.

Lucyand2 Wed 28-Oct-09 16:36:24

Okay, now I'm worried - I had a good look at the first one and found a much bigger lump at the entrance to my vagina on the other side I'd never noticed before. It looks like a big skintag.
I've tried to get an appointment and been told to ring back tomorrow to see a femal GP. I am going to be worrying all night now sad

alypaly Wed 28-Oct-09 16:41:50

dont worry too much...they always say if things hurt then there is normally not a problem.hmm

Malificence Wed 28-Oct-09 19:20:06

The entrance to my vagina is very lumpy and irregular, once you've had kids I assume it's quite normal not to be very "tidy".
If you're not used to having a good gawp at yourself in the mirror, your hubby should know what's normal down there.wink

purplepeony Wed 28-Oct-09 20:04:19

It is most likely a spot- have had them- I bet it goes as quickly as it's come.

Lucyand2 Tue 10-Nov-09 08:37:18

I went to the docs and she said the first lump was infected and the second lump was from my episiotomy. She then put me on antibiotics.
More than a week later and the first lump is still there, it's not sore anymore but it hasn't gone. I'm also thinking about the second lump again as I distinctly remember my midwife saying what a tidy job they did stitching my up after DD2 and the lump wasn't there before giving birth to her.
I have also become sore and itchy down there with a thin white discharge which is probably thrush.
I'm really fed up with the lumps - I'm getting married in less than 4 weeks and I want everything to be okay down there.
To top it all my washer is on the blink, the kids have terrible colds and my IBS has flared up.
Meh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now