Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is a 'Hypo'?

(7 Posts)
mummytopebs Wed 28-Oct-09 09:04:53

I have just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes and am currently controlling with diet.

Diabete nurse kept mentioning hypos is this when the blood sugar goes to low or to high? And what would be classed as to low? Mine was only 2 this morning. Its all very confusing

roomforthree Wed 28-Oct-09 09:06:23

when your blood glucose is too low. i think 2 is pretty low.

mummytopebs Wed 28-Oct-09 09:14:27

The nurse didnt say anything about it being low just try and not let it go above certain levels. So is it worrying to go to low?

LouIsAWeetbixKid Wed 28-Oct-09 09:14:49

short for hypoglycaemic. Hypo means low, so hypothermia etc. A good reading is between 4.00 and 8.00 mml so 2.00 is quite low.

Cluckyagain Wed 28-Oct-09 09:15:58

hypo is too low BS, hyper is high BS

StrikeUpTheBand Wed 28-Oct-09 09:28:10

Being as low as 2 is pretty dangerous - you risk passing out and then would need fast hospital treatment. I would ring the diabetes midwife ASAP and tell her you had a 2 - anything under 3.5 is risky. Also, it is not just too high they worry about but too low - it shows a lack of control of blood sugars just as much. I found this out when they found ketones in my urine and it was because I wasn't having enough snacks so was having highs and lows too much.

It's quite confusing but you get hypoglycaemic and hyperglycaemic hypo means it's too low (below 3.5) and hyper means it's too high. If mine goes below 3.5 I feel pretty bad - shaking and irritability and a desperate feeling (needing food NOW!). If I go above 10 I often find myself falling uncontrollably asleep sad. This is bad on my own (or with my toddler) because often I don't get to testing my blood because I am 'too tired' and fall asleep.

I have gestational diabetes for the third time round and this time I needed insulin since 11 weeks and I'm now nearly 32 weeks. It's not so bad though - the needle is so thin that actually you can't even feel it let alone it hurting. So if you find you need some insulin to keep things on track please don't worry about it - if you are getting a 2 then that is very worrying and it needs sorting. Had you not eaten? If it was this morning you might have to have a snack late at night before going to sleep to get you through. Some diabetics apparently have to set their alarm for 3am and have a glass of milk before going back to sleep.

Hope this is helpful for you. Let us know how it all goes, won't you?

mummytopebs Wed 28-Oct-09 14:56:43

Thanks strike up the band that was very helpful x I ahve been ont so just read this and bllod sugar is now 6.5 so back up. I had a sickness bug yesterday so imagine that was why it was so low this morning. I feel tired and shaky most of the time to be honest with you and am hungry, i am not snacking at the minute cos dont see dietician till Friday so unsure what i can snack on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now