Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD2 (11yrs) has a BIG BOIL on her bottom, it just popped, she's in agony!!!!

(18 Posts)
PurpleLostPrincess Tue 27-Oct-09 22:36:52

She's having a blood test on Thursday to check for glandular fever as she has been very run down all year. We thought she may have had it back in February as she was off with a virus for 3 weeks, very weak etc but they insisted it was a throat infection or tonsilitis. Her glands are up most of the time and normally hurt. She got ill again this weekend - bad cough, sore throat, temperature on and off and feeling weak so I took her to the doctors again yesterday and insisted she have a blood test. We've had to bribe her to have it!

Anyway, kicking myself as she's had this spot around her knicker line for a few weeks and has complained of it hurting but wouldn't let me see it (easily embarassed, especially now she's getting hair etc). I didn't want to push it but threatened if it was that bad, we should go to the doctors. She's let me glance at it but it's hard to see as it's right on her bum bless her, she won't let me touch it. She's been crying in pain with it today, then about half an hour ago she called me into the bathroom - she caught it and it has popped and is now bleeding. I managed to get some savlon onto it but have told her we should go to the doctors tomorrow - I will insist on a lady doctor of course. She's in a right state and says she can hardly walk and it hurts all the time.

Should I just take her up to A&E? It seems a bit extreme to me but I don't like seeing her in pain. Also, I think she'd be more comfortable at our surgery...

TIA smile

differentWitch Tue 27-Oct-09 22:42:27

if it's really deep, it may have developed into an abscess. I think I would take her to a+e, especially if she is in constant pain with it.

thisisyesterday Tue 27-Oct-09 22:43:09

ouch, poor her,it could be an abcess caused by an ingrown hair, they're quite common,
i think if she can get comfy and sleep then just see the GP tomorrow, but if she is in a lot of pain or if it's very big then maybe call nhs direct and see what they suggest?

runawayquickly Tue 27-Oct-09 22:43:38

Sorry to be a bit insensitive but...
BUMP

runawayquickly Tue 27-Oct-09 22:45:04

Sorry, poor DD, just didn't want this one to go unnoticed. Have you been able to give her painkillers?

weegiemum Tue 27-Oct-09 22:52:50

It should probably feel less painful now it has popped, as the pressure has been relieved a bit.

Would she sit in a shallow warm salty bath for a bit, or is sitting too sore?

She'll almost definitely need an antibiotic, but if you want to wait and see her own doc tomorrow that should probably be ok. I had a really nasty absces on the side of my leg when I was pg and it had to be probed and drained and dressed - caused by an ingrown hair. So don't be surprised if the doctor (or possibly the nurse - I think they are better at this sort of thing actually) wants to poke at it a bit.

The rule is "if there's pus about, let it out" so they'll want to make sure that has happened!

Hope she feels better soon!!

whomovedmychocolatecookie Tue 27-Oct-09 22:57:04

Ibuprofen, salt water baths and not leaning on it will be a good start. Some important questions though: are there veins tracking from the site of it? Does she feel shivery or hot and does she have a fever? If yes to either she needs to go to A&E as she could be developing septic shock.

PurpleLostPrincess Tue 27-Oct-09 23:00:23

Thank you all! Yes, I've told her it should feel a bit better now that it has popped as the pressure should be relieved. She insists it doesn't feel any better though. She claims she can't sit. Am I being undersensitive? I just think she can be a bit dramatic sometimes... Will suggest the bath now though...

I've had these over the years so I'm rather used to them - I tend to pop them myself and drain them (yukky icon!).

She's had a big dose of calpol for now, I have the nurofen to hand if need be (DD2 has a chest infection so all the meds are out!).

We sound like a right lot don't we!

LOL runawayquickly with the 'bump'!

PurpleLostPrincess Tue 27-Oct-09 23:09:36

Sorry, crossed posts...

Right, will watch out for those symptoms, she's sitting on the bed with me now so I'm watching her closely and maybe give her a dose of ibuprofen to be on the safe side. Can't get a proper look at it to see if there are any veins - I think it's time to get tough with her now though, or firm... you know what I mean. It's so difficult with little girls!

thisisyesterday Tue 27-Oct-09 23:16:38

did you see what came out?
dp had a really nasty abcess down there which burst, and he did go to a&e because although it relieved the pressure it was still very painful as it was so big. he had to have it packed every day for quite a while

will she let you have another look?

whomovedmychocolatecookie Tue 27-Oct-09 23:18:19

Okay. Look out for redness and heat from it - ask her to look at it. Ask her to tell you if it has little lines coming out of it. If it does then tell her you must look.

Not being funny but I've had septic shock a few times, it can kill you. It's worth showing your arse to your mum to avoid it because the alternatives include major surgery. And you don't want your bum cut off do you. (that's to your DD obv wink)

PurpleLostPrincess Tue 27-Oct-09 23:37:44

It was fresh red blood, quite thin but the bleeding has either stopped or died down considerably now. It must have relieved her to some extent as she fell asleep next to me and has now gone to bed. Will get her to look at it properly tomorrow - I have a hand mirror in the bathroom just for that sort of thing lol! whomovedmychocolatecookie - I will definitely adopt your way of putting it grin

Thing is, it's in a difficult to reach kind of place which makes it even more akward sad. Definitely going to GP in the morning - will let you know what happens.

Thank you all! smile

PurpleLostPrincess Tue 27-Oct-09 23:50:00

Funny thing is (well, not funny but strange iykwim), that DD2 had a colostomy bag for the first 6 months of her life, so this seems so mild and I'm trying to get my head to understand that this is a big thing for DD1 bless her and I need to be careful not to be dismissive of how she feels...

PurpleLostPrincess Wed 28-Oct-09 09:51:04

Got a doctors appointment for 11am...

She woke up saying it had bled and her knickers were stuck to her so she couldn't go for a wee - I suggested a bath but she was desperate so just went for it and pulled them down. I said about having a look at it but she said she'd rather wait for the doctor to do it....

whomovedmychocolatecookie Wed 28-Oct-09 11:59:32

Hopefully the GP will have sorted it by now. Look at you - up till nearly midnight worrying about your DDs bum - now that's motherly devotion wink

PurpleLostPrincess Wed 28-Oct-09 13:19:08

Awww bless you!

Doctor had a look - he has put her on flucloxacillin (sp?) and given her some dressings. He said it's a good thing that it has popped and he can't feel anything hard underneath so he's sure it isn't an abcess. He thinks it could all be linked to why she is so run down lately, so will be interested to see what the blood test says!

I originally asked for a lady doctor but they didn't have any on duty this morning, but thankfully it was our family doctor who she is more comfortable with. However, because she had to take her knickers off, I've promised her I'll buy her a boxset of the Friends DVD's as she's collecting them, bless!

Thank you for all your support and wisdom! I don't know what I'd do without Mumsnet! xx

whomovedmychocolatecookie Wed 28-Oct-09 15:14:53

Hmm if you want series 1 or 2 they are cheapest here

Incidentally, she's got you right under the thumb you know, under the thumb with a very red bum grin

Good job she's on antibiotics. She does still need to keep an eye on it - sometimes the antibiotics don't work quickly enough. Look out for all the things I mentioned before.

PurpleLostPrincess Wed 28-Oct-09 19:00:15

Thank you, yes I have my eye on her lol!

Great minds think alike - I already ordered it from there smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now