Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

found out the cause of my "stroke like" attacks....

(45 Posts)
lilsmum Tue 14-Jun-05 21:50:07

i havent been on mumsnet for a couple of weeks, and i dont know if some of you remember the worrying attacks i was having (funny vision, left side of body going numb, left side of face numb, numb tongue and not being able to speak)?they thought it was migraine with aura, and was also tested for sticky blood syndrome, i have had around 6 in the past 8 months, and was refered to a neurologist, well i had a ultrasound scan of my arteries in my neck, and has showed up with a signicant narrowing in one of the arteries, so the attacks have been mini strokes my G.P rang me this morning with the results, i have to take 75mg of aspirin a day starting today, and will be made a neurologist appointment asap, i am only 25 and i am very worried and frightened , just though i would let you know,and also to see if anyone has any experience or info on this? tia xx

misdee Tue 14-Jun-05 21:51:22

oh hunny. as if you havent had enough to deal with. no idea on the condition but just want to say i'm thinking of you.

xx

charleepeters Tue 14-Jun-05 21:52:15

my MIL had this a couple of weeks ago, i know its really scary but im sure your in good hands, im affraid i cant give you any advice but i just wanted to say im thinking of you. x

Evesmama Tue 14-Jun-05 21:53:15

oh im so sorry and shocked sweetie..hope your ok???, thankfully though, you do know what it was now and can take steps to stop it happening..no consolation i know..but am sending you a big hug

lilsmum Tue 14-Jun-05 21:59:34

thanks for the kind messages,

misdee...tell me bout it, when the G.P rang, i assumed it was about something to do with dd, and was shocked when he told me , this year has been a bad one so far, but hey can only get better (i hope) how is peter now? with not being on MN i not up to date with whats gone on, any news on a transplant? xx

Miaou Tue 14-Jun-05 21:59:35

Golly lilsmum - so sorry, i have no advice, but sending you hugs. Talk to us about how you are feeling - even if we haven't any advice (and I'm sure someone will know what you are going through), we can listen for sure.

lilsmum Tue 14-Jun-05 22:09:03

thanks miaou, i was ok when the doc told me, but when i spoke to my mum i had a little cry, have had a look on internet and it seems to be rare in people under 55, infact my doc said the same, and i think a angiogram is probable, and then depending on the results...either medication (aspirin, warfarin) or surgery, i just want some answers...i hate the not knowing, its awful.

kama Tue 14-Jun-05 22:10:05

Message withdrawn

hunkermunker Tue 14-Jun-05 22:11:50

Oh, sweetheart, how scary for you. I know aspirin does magical things with sticky blood type conditions, so I will have my fingers crossed it works wonder for you too.

Love and hugs HM xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Miaou Tue 14-Jun-05 22:12:28

Just googled on the internet and came up with the website for the Stroke Association, and this testimony from a 23 year old who had a stroke. It looks like they offer support to young people affected by strokes separately to older people. There may be a group in your area. Also they have a chat area too.

Keep talking lilsmum - to us, to your mum, to people who know about strokes - it's a big thing and no-one would expect you to handle it on your own.

misdee Tue 14-Jun-05 22:13:51

i'm not gonna hi-jack your thread to talk about my life. u need support right now, i'm well supported already

pixiefish Tue 14-Jun-05 22:14:13

so sorry, sending you hugs

potty1 Tue 14-Jun-05 22:15:04

lilsmum - sorry to hear this, it must be a shock.

Hope it can be managed by aspirin. My dd takes 75mg daily both for her heart problem and because she has had a clotand is at risk of others. A young woman I used to work with had these mini stokes - I think she had one of the arteries in her neck succesfully widened.

lilsmum Tue 14-Jun-05 22:19:38

miaou, thanks for that link, just read something quite worrying though...

i have suffered with migraines since around 14 yo, my previous G.P prescribed me the combined oral contaceptive at age 17, which i was on till ttc dd at age 23, this highly increases chance of strokes, and my now G.P,said i should NEVER have been on the combined pill with my history of migraine these attacks have only happened since having dd, and funnily enough while pg i never had one migraine! very odd

morocco Tue 14-Jun-05 22:22:00

gosh - what a terrible shock this must have been. I hope you get all the answers to your questions really soon and that everything works out perfectly on the treatment. Much love

edam Tue 14-Jun-05 22:23:43

so sorry to hear about this lilsmum. Stroke Association are v. good. If it's any comfort, I wasn't much older than you when I developed a scary neurological condition out of the blue. I'm no expert on stroke, but it is possible to live a normal, happy life with a neurological condition and come out the other side of something like this.
HTH and doesn't sound too smug or patronising, just wanted to offer sympathy really.

marthamoo Tue 14-Jun-05 22:26:47

lilsmum - I'm sorry to hear this too, but I'm glad that at least you now know what is happening to you and they are treating you. I know strokes can affect any age but you do tend to think of them as something that happens to older people. Take care of yourself.

hatstand Tue 14-Jun-05 22:36:34

no experience to share of a similar condition but know what it's like to have bad health news (diagnosed with ms when pregnant and 29) so my thoughts are with you. What I would say is help yourself deal with appointments - read a bit before hand (I think there's a stroke society isn't there?) write down all your questions (you will forget otherwise - and appointments with consultants don't come around all that often; ask them who should be your first port of call if you have further info; and if possible take someone with you - my dh has been fab, asking questions I don't think of, and expressing things better than me. I hope your appointment goes well. hugs

hatstand Tue 14-Jun-05 22:39:20

that was meant to say further questions. and I see you've already found the stroke organisation

rummum Wed 15-Jun-05 17:29:39

poor you....
I had a 'funny turn' simular to yours... I went on a course with a girl from work years ago..
when we got there I couldn't feel one side of my body... my arm had gone numb, I couldn't speak properly, couldn't remember how old I was, my address, giddy, blurred vision.... then I was sick and passed out!.. I went to the doctor and he took me straight of the pill... he said it was a slight stroke or a very bad migraine...
I'm thinking of you

Rummum

lilsmum Thu 16-Jun-05 19:28:36

well a update (sort of)....

i went to my G.P today to find out some details, he showed me the letter he recieved, it said following the ultrasound, they found a 50-60% blockage in my right side carotid artery, the neurologist is refering me to a cardiovascular surgeon , the G.P said it is unheard of in my age (24) and he has had dealing with it but only in patients aged over 60, it isnt going to get better just more blocked, and if left the attacks will get worse and more frequent so it looks like surgery...because of my age, and how blocked it is. i actually had another attack after seeing the G.P so obviously stress brings the attacks on too (by blood pressure rising)the attacks are TIA's which are mini strokes

lilsmum Thu 16-Jun-05 19:29:45

also said i am high risk of stroke, as these TIA's are normally warnings of a serious stroke on its way

Miaou Thu 16-Jun-05 20:31:17

Jeez lilsmum, that's not so good. Have you got any info on how soon that's likely to be?

At the moment the best thing you can do is to minimize the stress you are under - can you get some help with that? Have you got family around to help with dd? Can you do some relaxation techniques etc? Easier said than done I know. I wish I could offer more constructive device, but I can't so I'm sending (((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

Tipex Thu 16-Jun-05 20:35:54

oh lilsmum thats such an awful thing for you to have to deal with, I rememebr your original post. Try and stay as calm as you can, you've had this a while and are still fine and the experts will be able to give you all the info you need. Keep updating so we know how you're getting on xxx

Miaou Thu 16-Jun-05 22:31:04

bump - anyone else got any advice for lilsmum?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now