Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Slapped Cheek

(7 Posts)
happymerryberries Tue 14-Jun-05 20:49:06

What is the advice re school?

I'm sure that dd has it, bright red cheeks, no temp, no other symtoms. She isn't feeling ill.

Complicating factor her teacher, is pg.

Advice pleeeeese?

Eowyn Tue 14-Jun-05 20:51:41

mine had this & was v indignant about being sent home when she felt fine. i just read as much as I could find online & am sure the only prob was regarding pregnancy, can't remember if this affects whole pregnancy tho.

happymerryberries Tue 14-Jun-05 21:01:23

She is in the school play tomorrow and is desparate to go to school!

hoxtonchick Tue 14-Jun-05 21:03:42

it's more worrying for the pg teacher than your dd! sorry, that came out a bit too harshly.... ummm, if the teacher is less than 20 weeks pg her immunity should be checked, as there is a slight risk to the baby if she isn't immune & catches it whilst pg. the gp & i both thought ds had it when i was 19 weeks pg. we both got sent for blood tests (not sure why he was actually, & it was quite traumatic). turned out he didn't have it, so i hadn't been exposed, but actually wasn't immune. it's quite hard to get through childhood without exposure, so the teacher's probably ok.

maybe you should keep dd off tomorrow & ring the teacher. but tell her not to look on the internet for slapped cheek & pregnancy as she'll freak!

hoxtonchick Tue 14-Jun-05 21:04:35

oh, didn't see about the play. i would send her but warn the teacher. though if it is slapped cheek the teacher will have been exposed already. and i think it's very contagious, so it'll be passed around the class....

happymerryberries Tue 14-Jun-05 21:05:24

No, that is what I am worrying about. I also know of another child in the class who has it, don't know if they have informed the school. I realise that dd will be fine, if vexed if she has to miss the play. Just wondered if there was more info out there in MN land

oldbuzzard Tue 14-Jun-05 22:08:57

My daughter has just had this, GP said that she could return to school with red cheeks (she also had a viral rash all over) as contagious time is 4 - 14 days prior to redness appearing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now