Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

is it normal to almost pass out when you cough hard?

(8 Posts)
PumpkinsCantDanceTheTango Mon 26-Oct-09 17:53:30

I have always been like this, if I cough I go light headed, blurred vision, sometimes see spots and feel like I need to sit down/lean against something.

Coughed the other day and sort of leaned against the wall and my friend was asking why, I said well because it makes me dizzy - she looked like this hmm

So who is normal me or my friend? I am fine with it, its always the way I have been so know how to deal with it but would be interesting to know if its the norm or not. See cardiologist for repeated fainting and tachycardia so wondering if its worth mentioning. Cheers.

PumpkinsCantDanceTheTango Mon 26-Oct-09 21:35:43

wee bump

satansauruswrecks Mon 26-Oct-09 21:51:53

No, it's not normal,and yes, it's definitely worth mentioning - it could well be a vasovagal syncope, which may tie in with your other symptoms as well.

PumpkinsCantDanceTheTango Mon 26-Oct-09 22:14:05

Just spoke to other pal on phone who said shes never had that. I am facinated, I thought thats just what coughing was like blush I still dont really believe its not, to me its like someone saying its not normal to sneeze or something. Just googled "vasovagal syncope cough" and it so describes what happens!! I am absolutely facinated, I never knew that just want what happened when you cough. I am now hmm as to what other things make me dizzy that shouldn't!

InMyLittleHead Mon 26-Oct-09 23:01:01

Never heard of this before. Doesn't sound right, but if you've always had it surely it can't be too sinister... Maybe get it checked though

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 26-Oct-09 23:06:59

No its not normal. The only other person who has adverse effects of coughing is my 80 year old dad...

who for the last 20 years has only had one lung. So coughing tends to rearrange all his insides (his words) and leave him feeling a bit wierd.

benjysmum Mon 26-Oct-09 23:27:02

defnitely see a doctor.

PumpkinsCantDanceTheTango Tue 27-Oct-09 00:04:53

I am thinking I should maybe just move in to the Drs surgery for the winter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now