Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Advice please - marks (not birthmarks) on daughter's facce

(3 Posts)
namechangemonday Mon 26-Oct-09 12:44:29

I am writing for some advice. I am concerned about my daughter's face. She is nearly 4. She was born with a peaches and cream complexion which she still has. However she has begun to get several other marks on her face. They are not freckles or moles. She has a few freckles as most children do on her nose. The first mark I am concerned about is under her eyebrow (alongside a chicken pox mark she got about a year ago). I then noticed quite a predominant one on her cheek. This may sound vain but it really began to upset me as from her perfect complexion there was then quite a noticeable raised freckle (it is not the size of one freckle it is bigger). I then noticed one other further down her cheek and last week 2 more on her cheek (so she has 4 on one side of her face). They are not mid brown not dark dark but they are more raised then freckles - you can feel them if you run your hand over her skin.

I have been to the GP twice in the last year but cannot get taken seriously. While I appreciate that some children have proper facial issues this is still important to me even if it seems trivial to others. I am concerned she will get more and more of these and at the least I want the big picture to be under observation. I have private insurance so this does not have to be done on NHS.

One GP said she is too young to have anything done so will not refer me (even privately) and the second GP told me the large one was a viral wart (???) not a freckle as too raised and will probably go of its own accord. We already have relations saying oh look she had a bit of dirtt on her cheek and trying to brush away (no actually it is a [whatever it is]!) - so annoying - and she will be starting school soon and if this is something that needs to be kept under observation I want it to be.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what I can do? I do not think the birth marks support group will be interested as it is not a normal birth mark. Is there a particularly expert someone could recommend or a centre of excellence? What treatments might be suitable when she is older? I really don't just want to pick a dermatologist out of the air to choose to see. I am hoping there may be some experts on here. It is very upsetting not to be being taken seriously. Thank you

MonsterousNasalPustule Mon 26-Oct-09 15:15:11

Could they be moles?

As for private consult, you can do that yourself you don't need the gp to do it for you.

Drooper Mon 26-Oct-09 17:19:23

It is really difficult to say without seeing her what the marks could be.

For example, is it like this

What has your GP actually said about the marks? If you are not happy, then ask for a second opinion or referral.

I can see that you are clearly worried about this, but please be cautious. This may be a big issue for you, but be careful about making it a big issue for her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: