Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Right, have spoken to the Dr about my irregular cycle...

(7 Posts)
notnowbernard Mon 26-Oct-09 12:15:09

And this is what he advises:

I have to wait for CD21 and then have bloods done, to check prolactin levels and to see if I am OV

I had blodds done in May this year -

Thyroid was fine, tests showed I was in the 'follicular phase' (he said I'm def not perimenopausal - the tests confirmed this, apparently)

Told him I was TTC

Does this seem like a reasonable action plan, do you think? Or is there more that can be done?

Tia

puddock Mon 26-Oct-09 12:18:26

CD21 usually done to check progesterone levels - they will be high if you have ovulated on or around CD14 of a 28 day cycle. If your cycles are not this length then it's best to do the "CD21" bloods 7 days before you expect your period to arrive (if you can expect that at all - I know I can't!), otherwise it won't be that instructive. Other hormomes (prolactin, testosterone) usually tested on CD2 - but there may be some reason for your GP to do otherwise...

puddock Mon 26-Oct-09 12:20:36

... I don't know the rest of your story nnb, but if you have any other reason to suspect PCOS then I'd ask your GP for an ultrasound.
Lots of PCOS info at www.verity-pcos.org.uk. Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know . I was TTCing with PCOS for 18 months before I got pg with DS (Clomid).

notnowbernard Mon 26-Oct-09 12:22:22

I have no regularity to my cycle AT ALL

LMP was in August

NOT pg (BFN today and 5 days ago)

I have read about CD2 test somewhere... what would that tell? (Wondering whether to contact Dr and request that)

notnowbernard Mon 26-Oct-09 12:35:17

The only reason I would suspect PCOS is the irregular cycle

I don't have any other symptoms (thanks for that linksmile). Last blood test showed I had OVd and I have 2 DC

But I stongly suspect I am infrquently ovulating

Do you think I should ask Dr specifically to rule out PCOS?

puddock Mon 26-Oct-09 17:14:22

Might be worth asking Dr specifically about it if the bloods come back anything other than normal, or if you've been TTCing#3 for some time? Diagnosis would be via ultrasound, either direct GP referral or via a gynae. Some GPs are quite ill-informed about PCOS though, I have had one saying I couldn't possibly have it as I wasn't obese or hairy hmm. Apart from having ovaries that appear polycystic on scan, my only symptom is irregular periods too.
It's possible to ov (and conceive!) with PCOS, it's very variable - generally though AFAIK, v long cycles suggest that ov will be infrequent or absent.

notnowbernard Tue 27-Oct-09 09:04:48

Thanks, Puddock

I am on CD2 today... typically, after speaking to Dr yesterday period started about 2hrs later!

Am pleased because it means I won't have to wait ages for day21 blood test

Also pleased because I was pretty sure I OVd about16 days ago and for period to start 15 days later suggests I did OV

Will ask about PCOS when discussing the day 21 test

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now