Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TEETH. Implants/dentures/GA/pregnant, please help me...

(6 Posts)
LadyOfTheFlowers Mon 26-Oct-09 11:03:46

I have always had very bad teeth, they are also very small hmm

I have a fear of the dentist after a terrible experience when I was little and now only ever see a dentist when I am in pain. Also, we never have the money to pay for it. blush

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I seem to have a heridatory problem where my teeth are just crap and seem to rot away no matter what I do.

I had one removed a little while ago (while under sedation) and was asked by the dentist while I was there 'Shall I arrange to have the front 4 taken out too?' God knows what I was supposed to do without any front teeth as she didn't metion replacing them in any way.

The front 4 are greying and are dead basically and it is starting to become more noticeable and affecting my confidence.

I am currently 16 weeks preg so have an exemption card but need anything that involves drilling or worse done under sedation. Dentist got a bit shitty last time asking 'How come you can deliver children naturally then but can't manage the dentist?'

Anyway. Have just read about implants and I know I deffo couldn't handle that, not in a miillion years. I didn't think I would and said to DH about who said 'Yeah, but you don't want dentures do you?'
Actually, I think I would prefer. Even though am 26.

Every preg, something comes up that means I am in terrible pain and have to go to dentist to have temp work carried out.

I am guessing I will have to wait until after baby delivered to have anything permanent done? Can't be sedated can I?

Does anyone have any experience of dentures? I have just read experiences of implants so even if they did offer them, which I doubt, I couldn't have those done.

I am scared of having my teeth taken out, then having to wait months for dentures to be made and being toothless.

purplepeony Mon 26-Oct-09 21:59:44

Implants cost about £1000 each and it is unlikely you'd get them on the NHS.Others may know otherwise?

You need to go to a good dentist- you might not have to lose your front teeth- you might be able to have veneers- how do you know they need to come out?

I don't know about your hereditary problems- you need a good dentist who does know and a good hygenist who can save the ones you have left- do you go every 306 motnhs for a descale and clean/polish?

If not, you should seriously consider a nother dnetist who is happy to work with nervous patients- some offer hynotherapy and so on to help.

purplepeony Mon 26-Oct-09 22:00:46

3-6 months it should have said!

LadyOfTheFlowers Fri 30-Oct-09 14:42:26

The last dentist I saw I told me they were no good and would need to come out, but I don't have and will never have £2000 to spend on teeth, or anything for that matter. shock

PrettyCandles Fri 30-Oct-09 14:56:33

Your exemption lasts until the baby is 12m. I think, also, that any work begun under that exemption would be completed free, even if it is completed after the exemption expires.

Your teeth my be weak because of your genetics, but it really has not helped you to avoid seeing the dentist. If you wait until you are in pain, then they cannot do any preventative treatment.

You really really need to find a dentist who is sympathetic to your nervousness - such people do exist! When I was pg with no2 I found the dentist who changed my life (at least as far as dentistry goes grin). She made such a difference to my ability to go to the dentist, that at last I was able to go for routine treatments and no longer found myself constantly having unpleasant procedures done. And when I did have to have something done, I could cope.

A dentist who uses hypnotherapy is a good idea, especially if you are a very 'bad' patient. Even an independant hypnotherapist can do wonders for fear and avoidance. You might only need one or two sessions, to change enttirely how you feel about going to the dentist, and how you feel while you are there.

You won't get implants on the NHS, but I think you can get bridges, as well as dentures. They won't do any non-urgent work that requires x-rays whhile you are pg.

BTW, because I, too, had to have emergency dental work while I was pg (hence finding said dentist), I have discovered that if I ask to have a different PR injection, I am much less distressed afterwards. The regular injection includes adrenalin, which reduces bleeding, but it also makes some people shake, and increassses their anxiety. When you are pg they don't give you the adrenalin part.

So now I ask not to have the adrenalin in the injection, I don't shake, and get less anxious. And because I am less anxious during procedures, I am also less anxious in general at the dentist.

purplepeony Fri 30-Oct-09 16:17:56

Your dentist may have said they would need to come out because that is the easiest and cheapest option on the NHS.

It might not be the case.
My DH has had lots of his teeth saved ( albeit privately) with crowns etc.

You can but try asking about this type of treatment.

Some people do have teeth that are more prone to decay but if you visit your dentist every 3 months for cleaning and a check up you will save the teeth you have left- burying your head in the sand is not the answer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now