Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My temperature is very low today - so low it's off the scale

(20 Posts)
Katymac Mon 26-Oct-09 10:50:04

It's normally reasonably low closer to 36 on average that 36.5

But today it isn't registering as 35

Am I a freak unusual?

Sagacious Mon 26-Oct-09 10:51:39

I always register as mid 35's and never feel the cold.

But I am V Odd.

TheDevilEatsBabies Mon 26-Oct-09 10:52:04

that's worrying.

did you leave it in place for long enough?

did you put it somewhere that might be a little bit colder (eg in a fold of skin that has been exposed?)

TheDevilEatsBabies Mon 26-Oct-09 10:53:28

just got this from google:

"Normal human body temperature is usually stated as 98.6 F (37 C) orally, it actually ranges from 97.5 to 98.8 F (36.4 to 37.1 C). Some people have temperatures in the 96 F range and feel fine. Your body temperature is not considered dangerously low until it is below 95 F (35 C). Mild reductions in body temperature are often temporary and don't indicate a serious problem or condition. For example, your temperature normally is lower in the morning than in the evening. The most common cause of a lower-than-normal body temperature is exposure to cold. But occasionally, a low body temperature can indicate an underlying problem or condition, such as:
Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
Diabetes
Adrenal gland insufficiency (Addison's disease)
Hypothalamus dysfunction
Liver failure
Kidney failure
Widespread infection (sepsis)
Excessive use of alcohol or illicit drugs
A side effect of certain medications, such as phenothiazines, barbiturates, opiates, clonidine, lithium and benzodiazepines
If your low body temperature persists, consult your doctor."

from here

Katymac Mon 26-Oct-09 10:54:48

It's a forehead thermometer - everyone elses (should that have an apostrophe?)is fine

I've always thought I was a bit odd unusual

Katymac Mon 26-Oct-09 10:57:00

I have had an ear infection for over a week & I am finally seeing the GP at about 3 because it got worse grin.......maybe it's worse than I though <gulp>

MarthaFarquhar Mon 26-Oct-09 10:59:14

Forehead thermometers are hugely affected by ambient temperature so not v.accurate.

bran Mon 26-Oct-09 10:59:31

If you're using an in-ear thermometer you might need to give the sensor a bit of a polish or change the plastic cap. Otherwise, yes, you are a freak. wink

I always register too hot, so similarly freakish. Health professionals think I'm running a temperature because I'm outside the 'normal' range. I'm usually between 37.3 and 37.5.

bran Mon 26-Oct-09 11:01:03

Sorry, crossed with your post about it being a forehead thermometer. I'm packing the suitcase as well as posting on here.

belgo Mon 26-Oct-09 11:02:18

It's probably the thermometer reading that is inaccurate. I wouldn't worry too much, unless of course you want an accurate measure of your temperature.

TanteRoseFromTheDead Mon 26-Oct-09 11:05:24

if I take my temp. in the morning, then I am always around 35.5. I warm up a bit as the day progresses....

EightiesChick Mon 26-Oct-09 11:08:04

I think it's very likely that this is a thermometer problem. Forehead ones certainly are not that good anyway. Get a decent digital one if you can and try again. I used to get freakish results when temping (TTC) until I worked out I was messing up the preocedure, otherwise I ought to have been dead smile

Katymac Mon 26-Oct-09 15:39:44

Well the GP said my temp is low - but he isn't worried about it

Oh & I have a boil in my ear hmm

bran Tue 27-Oct-09 11:46:09

I'm wincing at the thought of a boil in the ear. I hope you feel better soon.

Katymac Tue 27-Oct-09 12:07:13

It is very very sore tbh

the GP gave me codeine for it - he couldn't see my ear drum as the ear canal was so swollen

mmrred Tue 27-Oct-09 21:15:42

Could you be dead but too busy to notice?

EyeOfFrogSpawnChorus Tue 27-Oct-09 21:20:19

lol at mmrred

<<sorry KatyMac...nothing valuable to add>>

Katymac Tue 27-Oct-09 21:43:15

Possibly

How would I know ?(I have stopped going to the loo......but I put that down to the codeine wink)

Daisydot Sat 07-Nov-09 22:51:11

check out wilsons syndrome.

jybay Sun 08-Nov-09 12:06:21

TBH forehead thermometers are rubbish. Get the old fashioned under the tongue mercury sort and make sure you leave it in for 3 mins. The chances are that your temp will be in the normal range.

jybay (GP)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now