Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Relatively new to running and I think I have shin splints :(

(14 Posts)
Fimbles5 Mon 26-Oct-09 08:52:34

Any advice appreciated. I am training for a half marathon and upped my run yesterday from 8.5 miles to 10.5 miles. At about the 6.5 mile mark my right shin began to hurt and continued to hurt on and off for the rest of the run. Now it is painful to touch, and am really concerned as due to run my first half marathon at end of November. Is this likely to be a problem from now on??

fishie Mon 26-Oct-09 08:56:34

no idea re shin splints but perhaps you are overtraining a bit? have a day off then a short run to see how you feel.

Uriel Mon 26-Oct-09 09:00:40

I did this as a kid, running on tarmac, training for my sports day. hmm My parents didn't do anything hmm and the pain went away.

OrmIrian Mon 26-Oct-09 09:03:21

It probably is shin splints. They are very common in new runners. Give it a week off. And then take it slowly again. If you go back too soon it won't go.

IME it won't neccessarily come back. It's not as if you have torn or wrenched anything - just overused something that isn;t used to it. I had shin splints when I first started but never since. I've had every other bloody injury since mind hmm

Fimbles5 Mon 26-Oct-09 09:09:11

Thanks everyone. Is taking time off the only option?? I am following a training program for this half marathon and am concerned that if I stop I may not be ready in four weeks. I understand that I could be in a worse situation if I overdo it but I so want to complete this challenge.

OrmIrian Mon 26-Oct-09 09:13:02

fimble - well it's up to you but I think if you try to run before it's healed it will simply hurt too much. Are you running every day?

Fimbles5 Mon 26-Oct-09 09:18:54

Not every day. A short run (2-3 miles) Tuesday, A medium run (5-6 miles) Thursday and then A long run (at the moment 10.5 miles) on Sunday, but this is all still rather new to me. Up until 6 months ago I had never been out running like this, but I am loving every minute and don't want to give in to this

fishie Mon 26-Oct-09 09:49:46

your long run might be too far too soon. i run 5 times a week and my longest is 12.5k. have a rest and try more often less distance.

also sometimes having a break can actually help you up the mileage, your body settles down a bit.

stickylittlefingers Mon 26-Oct-09 10:02:52

I would definitely recommend stopping with the running for a week (can keep up with swimming or whatever wouldn't impact on your shins) and when you restart, trying on a softer surface.

Don't worry too much - friend I did gnr with had to stop training for a month right before for ankle problems, and still finished faster than me (that maybe not saying much grin but finish she did and in the time she wanted)

saggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 26-Oct-09 16:04:54

Fimbles - I think your jump from 8.5 to 10.5 is too much - try to increase by 10% a week. Even if you haven't done the full half by the end of November you'll still manage it on the day.

And that other old but good piece of advice.....check your shoes aren't getting to the end of their life.

Fimbles5 Mon 26-Oct-09 20:12:01

Saggarmaker - Really stupid question but how would I know if my shoes are getting to the end of their life??? I have had them for a while, but have no idea how many miles I have run in them. They have always been really comfy and look ok to me. Is there any other way of knowing if they need updating?

ohnelly Tue 27-Oct-09 09:40:02

Hi yes check your trainers - they should be 1/2 size bigger than normal for running apparently, might be worth investing in a new pair if you had them a while.
Instead of not running at all try using a treadmill, then you can still train without making your shins sore. This is what I did when I was doing a lot of running last year. It does make a difference, and much less concussion on your legs.

fishie Tue 27-Oct-09 09:46:16

pain is a good sign you need new shoes.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 27-Oct-09 12:42:19

Agree with fishie. Other than that, wear on the soles, a lack of 'bounce' or a hardening of the rubber. Sometimes just as your shoes get to be the most comfy, you find it's time to change.

I have a pair that are really comfy but TBH it's like running in my slippers becuase there's no give left in the soles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now