Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

painful wrists ?due to breastfeeding

(3 Posts)
arry Sun 25-Oct-09 16:05:06

Does anyone have any experience of painful thumbs/wrists with new baby. It started at about 4 weeks (DD now 16 weeks) - didn't want to bother GP plus had lots going on with having had a section - sore wrists seemed small problem but now are very big problem. Diagnosed De Quervains- got wrist splints and had physio but have been refused a steroid injection but my wrists are agony! It hurts to lift DD and dress her and change nappy and when I feed her - you name it- it hurts. I had ultrasound but have seen no improvement.Topical Diclofenac does very little - the only time I get any relief is in the evening when DD has gone to bed. The physio now thinks that it is nerve pain and that I need to see GP again to be prescribed amitriptiline or gabapentin, I am still breastfeeding and DD will not take a botle so obviously drugs may be a problem. I did beg my GP for a steroid injection a few weeks ago but he said he did not do them and it was up to the physio. Do I insist on a referral to an orthopod? Why am I being refused a steroid injection? Does anyone know what I should do next? I really feel that noone is taking my pain seriously.

slng Sun 25-Oct-09 18:40:02

Sorry can't help but sympathise. Had wrist/thumb pain with DS1 but sort-of went away with physio - he said it was RSI from lifting baby and it was very common. Though I think I'm a lot clumsier with my right hand now compared to when I was young ... Hope you get proper treatment soon.

pelvicflawed Sun 25-Oct-09 19:04:04

I got Carpal Tunnel Syndrome 6 weeks after DS was born and it was agony - you have my utmost sympathy - after seeing the GP three times I was in so much pain that I paid £100 to see a consultanat privately (against my principles but the pain was that bad) - splints helped a lot but ultimatley I had surgery when DS was 8mths and 14 mths (first left then right hand) - I would insist on getting a referal to a consultant - I found the pain really had a knock on effect on my whole health inc my emotional health as it meant that lots of pleasant activities to do with a young baby (swimming/long walks in the pram) just hurt too much. Good luck and be persistant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now