Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My father has a an old friend who for ten years has been living in a privtate care home

(7 Posts)
couture1 Sun 25-Oct-09 11:21:30

He is physically unable to move, none of his family visit him and my dad tries to visit him every week, whilst he is very well looked after he never get out of the home. What my dad wants to know is there anyway he could get him out for a few hours every now and then, its very upsetting to think of him cooped up in there, My dad would take him out but needs the appropriate transport. Surely there must be more to life for this man.

Jas Sun 25-Oct-09 11:28:31

Has your dad asked?
Could he use a wheelchair belonging to the home and take him to a local pub/cafe/park for a bit?

Unless he has medical needs your dad couldn't manage, it would probably not be a problem, IME

couture1 Sun 25-Oct-09 11:30:48

They would let him take the wheelchair Im sure - it would just be nice to take him furhter afield I think so would need transport. As far as I know there is no where local he could or would want to go.

cory Sun 25-Oct-09 11:53:52

You can hire cars with wheelchair facilities: dh looked into this when his Mum was going into a care home.

Tortington Sun 25-Oct-09 12:11:03

taxis do wheelchair accessible transport.

also worth contacting your local branch of age concern, they will be able to tell you the local community transport organisations that would be able to help you.

MarthaFarquhar Sun 25-Oct-09 12:11:56

Ring and ride/dial a ride? these services have wheelchair accessible vehicles

Some taxi firms have wheelchair-converted vehicles - local council might be able to tell you which.

MarthaFarquhar Sun 25-Oct-09 12:12:25

x-posted, obv wink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now