Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Blood clot in the leg

(6 Posts)
FlorenceDaphne Sun 25-Oct-09 11:01:41

My dad has a blood clot in his leg. It began with a pain and then his foot went icy and numb and generally looked like the foot of a cadavar. He's in the hospital now, and a vascular surgeon is coming to talk to him.

I can't visit until three. My mum's being very calm and non-panicky about the whole thing, but she won't really tell me what's happening.

Is it serious? Should I be worried? is it the same as deep vein thrombosis, do you think?

bigstripeytiger Sun 25-Oct-09 11:06:20

If the foot is cold and white then it is more likely an arterial thrombosis than a venous thrombosis.

There is a fact sheet here its a bit general, but hopefully of some use if that is what the problem is.

FlorenceDaphne Sun 25-Oct-09 11:06:57

Basically, I suppose, is this a serious and life-threatneing condition, or is it just a bit of an inconvenience for my dad?

FlorenceDaphne Sun 25-Oct-09 11:07:25

Thank you so much, Stripey Tiger.

FlorenceDaphne Sun 25-Oct-09 11:10:37

That is a brilliant fact sheet. The wikipedia article seemed like it was written for people with advanced medical degrees. Thanks again.

bigstripeytiger Sun 25-Oct-09 11:14:09

No problem smile. I hope that there is good news for you when you get to the hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now