Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smear test due, says to wait until not breastfeeding, this could be years...

(17 Posts)
LeninGhoul Sat 24-Oct-09 23:25:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MegBusset Sat 24-Oct-09 23:29:43

I had mine done a couple of weeks ago, still EBF DS2... have no idea why it would be a problem tbh

LeninGhoul Sat 24-Oct-09 23:32:22

cece Sat 24-Oct-09 23:33:10

I am having mine done in a cople of weeks and still bf. No mention made of it when I discussed it with doc.

MegBusset Sat 24-Oct-09 23:37:09

FAQs here don't mention anything about BF -- just say you should wait three months after delivery. So I would go and get it done now tbh, but just mention it to the nurse to put it on your notes.

FlamingoBingo Sat 24-Oct-09 23:41:43

I have never heard of that before, Lenin - I'm a trained BF supporter. I've had them while bfing myself.

LeninGhoul Sat 24-Oct-09 23:42:14

JustAnotherManicMummy Sat 24-Oct-09 23:43:18

I had mine done recently and am still breastfeeding. The nurse wanted to know how many weeks ago I had DS and when my last period was.

I wonder if it's something to do with wanting to know about your last period and if you're breastfeeding you may not have had one?

I can't think of any reason not to have a smear because you're breastfeeding. Personally I wouldn't wait.

4GHASTLYGHOULSandnotout Sat 24-Oct-09 23:44:48

I was told by my doctor not to have a smear whilst I was still bf'ing, I have no idea why.

FlamingoBingo Sat 24-Oct-09 23:47:47

I've just googled various ways of saying 'smear test while breastfeeding' and not come up with anything except an unanswered question on another site, similar to your question!

I wonder if it's one of those myths like 'breastfeeding at night causes dental caries' or 'you have to stop bfing if you have mastitis' that some HCPs seem to cling to.

LeninGhoul Sun 25-Oct-09 00:06:13

LeninGhoul Sun 25-Oct-09 00:07:24

JustAnotherManicMummy Sun 25-Oct-09 00:10:56

Lenin I don't think you need to wait until you've had a period. My GP was happy for me to have a smear at 7 weeks post-partum. It actually took me about 6 months to get around to it <blush> and by that time I had just started getting periods again.

They like to have a smear from the middle of the month because that's when the chances of getting a successful smear are highest... but if you're not having periods it shouldn't matter. According to my GP any way smile

LeninGhoul Sun 25-Oct-09 00:18:41

BelaLugosiNoir Sun 25-Oct-09 10:24:42

The hormone levels change the maturity of the cervical epithelium. At mid-cycle the oestrogen levels are higher and the cervical cells at their most 'mature' and this is about the 'easiest' presentation to read by the cytologist.
Postnatal can be tricky because the cells are less mature. The less maturity = cells with higher nucleus to cytoplasmic ratio; this has some degree of overlap with a change we look for that indicates abnormality. The more abnormal a cell is, the less it differentiates, i.e. doesn't obey the usual hormonal influences.
We can tell the difference (usually anyway) between immature epithelial cells due to hormonal status* and abnormal changes, it's occasionally quite tricky. So it's preferable to leave a Pap test until the hormones are nearer to normal status, usually we ask after 12 weeks.
Bf shouldn't be a problem but *it is jolly helpful if the sample taker puts the info on the request form.

LeonieBooCreepy Sun 25-Oct-09 10:30:29

Message withdrawn

LeninGhoul Sun 25-Oct-09 16:18:02

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now