Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

retinal detachment, anyone?

(7 Posts)
onlygirl Sat 24-Oct-09 22:46:22

I have this in left eye and need to have it frozen. Has anyone had this? In the nightmare of it all i never asked the doctor any Questions!!

VicarInaBooTu Sat 24-Oct-09 22:59:25

you need to get it seen ASAP or you risk losing your sight.

did he not refer you straight to hospital?? i worked in optics for 10 years, its usually quite urgent.

StickyFloorsHappyChildren Mon 26-Oct-09 23:06:16

Retinal detachments are easily fixed with laser these days. Well,i say easily, but you know what i mean. Depends on how big eth detachment is, usually laser while you are awake. Burns a little but my fourteen and seventeen year old had it done and my seventeen (now 19) yr old is a wooss with no pain threshhold lol! My son has also had it done but he was so little they did it under anaesthetic. The basic info you need to know is get it seen to ASAP, as eth longer it goes the larger/worse it can get. Good luck hon.

Northernlurker Mon 26-Oct-09 23:08:24

fil had something like this fixed with a couple of laser shots. It was fine but he did have to lie very still and rest it a lot for a few weeks. He would be much older than you though. He's fine now.

ninah Mon 26-Oct-09 23:09:59

my father also
the keeping still recovery stage was tedious, more so than the op was daunting

slummybutyummy Fri 30-Oct-09 18:13:25

Hope you're ok onlygirl, 2 of my family members have had this and in their cases it came on suddenly. One needed treatment immediately, but the other had treatment a little later. I would say you should go up to the local hospital (or eye hospital if you have one) as soon as possible. That way they can either sort it or put your mind at rest.

rabbitstew Sat 31-Oct-09 19:58:41

My mum had it done. It sounded from her description pretty quick and painless, although she complained of the floaters that you get as a symptom of retinal detachment for quite some time afterwards, as I think it took her some time to get used to them and for them to settle down a bit more out of her field of vision (they never go away once you've got them). She worries a lot about her eyes now and the chances of getting another retinal detachment, but all seems to have been fixed well and she's had no further problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now