Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone ever fractured their coccyx?

(16 Posts)
lilibet Sat 24-Oct-09 11:52:46

dd (20) fell down the stairs on Monday and has fractured her coccyx, it has also moved and their is cartlidge damage sad

A&E say there is nothing that she can do other than pain killers but she really is in agony.

I was up with her from 3 - 5 this morning and i thought that had stopped 18 years ago (smile)!

Can anyone suggest anything please?

lilibet Sat 24-Oct-09 11:53:47

there is carlidge damage blush

not used to broken nights (grin)

suiledonne Sat 24-Oct-09 11:55:20

Never got it checked out as MIL told me there is nothing can be done but I injured my cocyx a couple of years ago slipping on a wet floor.

It comes and goes - a couple of months ago I couldn't sit on a hard chair as the getting up was agony. Thats the funny thing with it - it never hurts when walking, atanding etc but sit down for too long or on hard chair and the pain is unbelievable.

bitofadramaqueen Sat 24-Oct-09 11:55:48

My mum had this a couple if years ago and I remember her being in a lot of pain. My dad bought her a children's inflatable rubber ring to make it a bit easier to sit down.

suiledonne Sat 24-Oct-09 11:56:07

Look here

www.coccyx.org

purepurple Sat 24-Oct-09 11:56:33

I didn't break mine but I did fall down the stairs after an Xmas do one year. It bloody well hurt. A lot.
I had pain for about a year afterwards, especially if I had been sitting down for longer than 20 mins.
Poor DD, hope she feels better soon.

Ivykaty44 Sat 24-Oct-09 11:59:08

Can you use deep heat on a child?

I fell earlier this year badly landed on a log on mine - I really feel for your little one..sad

I took the strongest pain killers I could every 4 hours without fail and then inbetween took another pain killer.

I used hot water bottles and deep heat.

I also found walking around more comfortable than either lying or sitting, especially early on.

Ivykaty44 Sat 24-Oct-09 12:00:40

Can the gp perscribe anti inflamatories?

Ivykaty44 Sat 24-Oct-09 12:01:13

oh god - I thought you meant 20 months blush

Harebelle Mon 26-Oct-09 08:36:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

kitkatcadaverqueen Mon 26-Oct-09 08:54:19

Hello, I broke mine into lots of little bits when I was 8, ( fell out of a tree). They didn't remove I was told because it was in so many bits they might have missed some and it was very painful for several months.

I also had problems with my tailbone after each of my 1st 3 pregnancies, no problem after no 4 tho and it seems ok now.

If I had known better sooner I would have made a bigger deal and got it sorted.

God luck to your daughter - do you think a cold pack like you use after a tear might make it more comfortable?

SpookyAlice Mon 26-Oct-09 09:03:10

I slipped down the stairs about 3 years ago and was in so much pain i was physically sick. When i saw my chiro a couple of months later she said it was likely a fractured cocyx, luckily i have had no problems since, but it was agony at the time

Poohbearsmom Mon 26-Oct-09 09:15:24

Sorry my sister fractured hers years ago after fallin off a horse, she was n total agony too, my parents put a door under her mattress for her to sleep, as the softness of a normal mattress was killin her, she had had to sleep on the floor b4 that... She also used da inflatible ring pillow... Hope She feels better soon...

lilibet Mon 26-Oct-09 12:10:28

We've jsut been to the gp becaude it's got infected. sad.

I wish i had read this thread earlier then i could ahve asked about the orthopaedic team.

bigbumhel Mon 26-Oct-09 12:29:46

I've had problems with mine for years (probably caused from my sister pulling me off the sofa by my feet and landing on my coccyx numerous times!!) I've had cortizone injections into it, creams, mri scans, tablets you name it but nothing worked and they never found the reason for it hurting me soooo much that they ended up removing it!! It was the most painfull operation, I had to lay down for 6 weeks after adn had 6months off work. It didn't do a blind bit of difference to my pain as they relised that it probably wasn't my coccxy that was the route of the problem!! Your daughter should try and do some pelvic floor exersices when she is able to as I was told this helps support the area. Good luck it will get better but it will be a painfull recovery sorry!!!! xxx

woahwoah Tue 27-Oct-09 21:05:39

Hi. This is really painful at first - I've done it twice!
I found standing was much better than sitting, but it's amazing how often you have to sit! Driving was the worst - I had to drive 45 minutes to work, and had to stop halfway to walk around! I bought a cushion with a bit cut out of the back, which helped LOADS.After a few weeks, the pain got a lot better, though it still hurt when going from sitting to standing. Now,2 years on from the last accident, I rarely notice any pain. Maybe occasionally if I've been sitting on a hard chair for ages.
In the meantime - ibuprofen and a cushion as described above!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now