Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Waiting to miscarry, will I need someone around to look after children?

(18 Posts)
hmmSleep Sat 24-Oct-09 10:59:05

Went for my dating scan last week and sadly discovered I had miscarried at 9 weeks. Have just started to bleed a little so just waiting to miscarry naturally now. Not sure what to expect as still waiting for call from hospital to discuss things.

My main question is am I likely to need someone with me to help look after my 2 children when I do stat to miscarry? Not sure if my husband needs to try and get time off work or not.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jennylee Sat 24-Oct-09 11:16:42

My friend miscarried at 12 weeks as baby had died at 8 weeks. She wishes someone had told her to have her kids looked after. It may not be that way for you, but maybe would be better just in case, hopefully someone with experience will come and advise.

hmmSleep Sat 24-Oct-09 13:37:38

Thank you, think I will try and have family round to help out.

GibbonWithAnAppleBobbingBibOn Sat 24-Oct-09 13:40:43

So sorry sad

brightongirldownunder Sat 24-Oct-09 13:48:28

Thinking of you sad
I've been there and I agree with Jenny, it may be good to have people on standby. Try to stay as calm as you can and let everyone help as much as possible.

brightongirldownunder Sat 24-Oct-09 13:51:35

If you're unsure of anything call your doctor. You shouldn't be waiting to hear from the hospital - I would make sure you see someone to discuss what happens next asap for you own peace of mind.

Crackopenthebaileys Sat 24-Oct-09 13:51:56

Hi hmmsleep. I am so sorry to hear of your miscariage, I hope that you are coping ok. sad
I know that each persons experience is different, but I will give you mine, it may help a little
I had two miscarriages within 4 months of eachother in 2006 and 2007. They estimated that I was around 6 and 8 weeks pregnant.
The miscarriage itself was fairly quick and spontaneous, my tummy hurt a bit and then it was over.
I had a day to myself after both, dp had a day off work both times. Partly because I felt exhausted and a little tender, but also it gave me time to lie in bed and really think it over and let my emotions out.

take care, and as a little beacon for you, I fell pregant again a few months later and after a miscarriage scare which was terrifying, I was convinced it was happening again, I had a beautiful baby girl in Jan 2008!

brightongirldownunder Sat 24-Oct-09 14:57:55

Hope you're ok, Hmmsleep.

doubleexpresso Sat 24-Oct-09 18:46:56

Very sorry to hear of your sad loss. Will be thinking of you and your family, Hope you get the practical help you need.

hmmSleep Sat 24-Oct-09 18:55:31

Thank you for all your kind and supportive messages.

Have started to bleed more heavily now so am hoping it will just all be over and done with in next few days. I always thought miscarrying would be hard emotionally but never really considered the physical side, so all a bit of a shock.

Spoke briefly to the doctor and they said everything sounded like it was going normally but they'll call on Monday to talk through things properly, get the feeling could be a bit late by then.

Thanks again.

Crackopenthebaileys Sun 25-Oct-09 08:38:29

Hope you are doing ok x

ItsAllaBitNoisy Sun 25-Oct-09 08:42:58

So sorry. Mind yourself.

SleepyCaz Sun 25-Oct-09 20:00:14

hmmSleep - So sorry to hear this. Take good care of yourself, emotionally as well as health-wise xx

brightongirldownunder Mon 26-Oct-09 14:08:28

How are you today hmmSleep?

hmmSleep Mon 26-Oct-09 15:30:27

Just back from hospital, bleeding got very heavy yesterday, so much so I couldn't leave the bathroom as towels weren't absorbent enough. By the time I got to hospital had pretty much had complete miscarriage and thankfully once the final clot was removed the bleeding calmed down.

Typically the hospital phoned me to discuss how to proceed whilst I was in hospital!

Thankfully I've had no pain, just alot of bleeding which they said should stop within a week or so.

Feel tired and emotionally drained but thankful the physical side is finally over so I can concentrate on getting over it all emotionally now.

Thanks again for your kind support.

sweetkitty Mon 26-Oct-09 15:33:25

So sorry you had to go through that hmmsleep, your experience sounds v similar to mine.

If I were to have a mc again I would have the op as wouldn't want to mc naturally again just my experience.

Look after yourself, rest as much as you can

Crackopenthebaileys Mon 26-Oct-09 17:33:13

hope you are getting the rest that you need x

brightongirldownunder Tue 27-Oct-09 15:06:22

There's always someone here if you need to talk x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now