Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

continual feeling of a head cold

(8 Posts)
luciemule Sat 24-Oct-09 10:22:48

Hi - I have been waking up each day with the feeling of a head cold; blocked feeling around the top of my nose, headache, tender around and under eyes and a general feeling that my head is really heavy. I haven't got a cold (runny nose sort of cold) and so I wondered if anyone else knew what it could be?
I was worried it was blocked sinuses but thought I'd have more mucus if it was. I have heard that having your sinuses flushed out is painful so didn't really want this!
Lemsip decongestant does seem to relieve it but I can't take it every day. I was reading about lymphatic drainage massage and wondered whether it might help unlbock everything. Any thoughts?

RubberDuck Sat 24-Oct-09 10:30:26

How long have you had it? I would personally check with the GP if longer than a week or so, in case it's some sort of infection.

Another thought is could it be allergy related? If you take an antihistamine does it ease up a little? Have you added anything new like a new pillow or something in the house (particularly bedroom) recently?

luciemule Sat 24-Oct-09 10:40:11

Well it started in about Febuary with hayfever but now it's a blocked in the top of the nose feeling rpetty much every day.
I do have eczema and a couple of years ago, I inhaled a lot of dust and my whole face swelled up! Since then though, my eczema has been really well under control.
We have moved house and there are silver birch trees nearby but I would have thought they wouldn't be producing pollen now?

RubberDuck Sat 24-Oct-09 11:10:01

That sounds very very similar to what I had

Turned out to be dust mite allergy not tree pollen allergy (I thought I had hayfever for YEARS) - they breed and become more prolific in early spring which is why they can be confused.

I know GPs don't like referring to allergy clinic, but they did with me because of asthma - I'm guessing eczema might be similar. I am now on an anti-allergy tablet, an antihistamine and a nasal spray and feel completely normal for the first time in years. A week after I started treatment, my ears 'popped' and everything was really loud - hadn't even realised that my ear canals were bunged up! Haven't even had any "sinus" infections since I started on them.

Go see your GP and beg if you have to.

JemintheGraveyardwithghouls Sat 24-Oct-09 11:12:46

Go see your GP- could be sinus infection?

Doozle Sat 24-Oct-09 11:12:50

Could be sinus infection which would clear up with antibiotics. Does it hurt your head when you bend forward?

luciemule Sat 24-Oct-09 14:26:41

Sometimes I feel pressure when I bend forward and I have been going dizzy when leaning over etc. Will defo go to the docs then as it does permanantly feel as though my head's going to fall off!
Thanks for your replies.smile

RubberDuck Sat 24-Oct-09 14:31:37

Let us know how you get on, lucie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now