Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tics

(14 Posts)
Hausfrau Tue 14-Jun-05 12:45:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fastasleep Tue 14-Jun-05 12:47:17

I thought tics where the ones that attached themselves to you and sucked...or is that just English ones? I got covered in those as a child and had to have some of them removed by a doctor from personal places ... I was fine... don't remember getting immunised for anything. Maybe sheep tics are totally different though...

I'm sure someone will come along and tell you loads about them!

Hausfrau Tue 14-Jun-05 12:52:44

fastasleep Tue 14-Jun-05 12:53:18

Oh lovely! I'm sure someone will know what to do...

Hausfrau Tue 14-Jun-05 13:01:47

Monstersmum Thu 16-Jun-05 13:05:50

Sorry - didn't see this till today.

On Tuesday I discovered a tick on DS back - he's 3 and hadn't been vaccinated. I pulled tick off as I didn't realise what it was - looked it up in internet. I live in Budapest and they are very common but it's our first experience.

The risks are Lyme disease (no vaccine - just watch out for flu symptoms and a bullseye type rash) and mennin-something encephalitis. We trotted (well dashed actually) to doc here and were jabbed - DS, DH and me. Booster required in 2 - 4 weeks and fingers crossed should be OK.

We had been to a BBQ on Sunday and loads of the kids had ticks - I felt like a lousy Mum as hadn't even checked mine - too much wine I'm afraid - me not him!!!

I'm sure you are sorted with info now but hope this helps anyway!

Jimjams Thu 16-Jun-05 18:55:22

missed this as well. ds2 was bitten on Sunday (in UK). Looked up on net and apparently Lyme disease is the biggest risk in the UK (although rare if the tick is attached for less than 24 hours). Starts with a rash and flu like symptoms. Ds2 hasn't been vaxed against anything ever so I was just making sure he couldn;t get tetanus!

What did your dr say?

Hausfrau Thu 16-Jun-05 18:56:17

Hausfrau Thu 16-Jun-05 18:58:08

Frizbe Thu 16-Jun-05 18:58:09

Hey ladies, what jab can you get for this? seeing as its probably not a routine one in the uk, any ideas?

Hausfrau Thu 16-Jun-05 19:00:13

anteater Thu 16-Jun-05 19:07:58

www.anapsid.org/lyme/riseinticks.html

anteater Thu 16-Jun-05 19:11:51

www.canlyme.com
www.health.groups.yahoo.com/group/eurolyme/
www.ilads.org
www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk

just been sent a leaflet about this problem!
on the increase..

ruty Thu 16-Jun-05 19:20:18

just to say the lyme disease vaccine is one of the most controversial vaccines in USA. Big lawsuit going on over claims it causes arthritis. Lyme disease itself treatable best if caught early and still relatively rare in UK, especially in south.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now