Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Needing yet more reasurance about wisdom tooth removal recovery, sorry

(7 Posts)
MrsMorgan Fri 23-Oct-09 19:47:06

Ok so it is erm 2 weeks and 3 days since I had it taken out and thank god it no longer hurts apart from the odd twinge here and there.

Now according to the dentist the tooth was huge, alot bigger than a wisdom tooth normally is, and also it was sort of coming out of the side and the bottom of my gum, if that makes sense.

So, the bit of the hole on my tongue side has started to heal, but what I am worried about is that the rest of the hole thats on the side seems to not be closing up and the gum surrounding it is very soft. It isn't sore, unless i poke it alot hmm

I don't have some weird gum eating disease do I ?? (only half joking).

AMumInScotland Fri 23-Oct-09 19:57:04

By "not closing up" do you mean it is still raw, or that there's a pit? I had quite a big pit left after one tooth was removed, but by 2 weeks in, I would expect it not to still be a raw wound IYSWIM? The pit did gradually get shallower...

MrsMorgan Fri 23-Oct-09 19:59:51

Hmm well I can't see the hole at all as too far back. It must have healed over slightly I thionk as I can no longer taste blood and I don't lose half my tonge in the hole lol.

I think tbh the hole probably feels alot bigge than it is.

Just had a poke with my finger and it is closing up i think, just slowly.

AMumInScotland Fri 23-Oct-09 20:03:31

Mine was certainly slow - though I'd had an infection in the tooth which I think made it worse (I had 3 out, but the others didn't seem to leave as big a gap). I think as long as it seems to be improving over time, and you don't think there's any infection, then I'd probably not worry about it. Not tasting blood is certainly a good sign!

MrsMorgan Fri 23-Oct-09 20:07:16

Thanks, i think you are right, i think it is just taking it's time.

I am pretty sure it isn't infected as there is no pain and no nasty taste or anything.

purplepeony Fri 23-Oct-09 22:42:02

I had about 6 stitches in my gum after having 1 removed- did you not? I had the tooth sawed out of my jaw bone! I was back at work within 3-4 days- teaching. Go back to dentist if you are worried.

bumpybecky Fri 23-Oct-09 22:53:58

I had one out and it took a number of weeks (months maybe) before the hole had totally done. If you're not in pain and there's no bad taste it all sounds good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now