Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bloody Big Baby?!?

(14 Posts)
Evnstar Fri 23-Oct-09 16:36:56

Hi, I heve always been on course for a big baby(for my size anyway)according to the the chart. However on weds when MW measured me, I had jumped above the guide curves into the boxes beyond! Working out the estimated weight Baby J is now, puts me at 7.9lbs and I still have 6 weeks to go. I have to go for a scan on Tues but am worring and wondering if there is anything I can do to help. Anyone had similar issues? xx

Pheebe Fri 23-Oct-09 16:44:36

Was she using a tapemeasure? If so don't worry, they are notoriously unrealiable. DOnt' take account how the baby is lying or how much water you're carying. At this stage even a scan will be guess work. How's your blood sugar?

Evnstar Fri 23-Oct-09 17:09:33

She was using a tapemeasure and did mention the that it could be a lot of fluid, however in the next breath she said it felt like all baby. i haven't had a glucose test recently so I assume it will be one of the things they will check.

4madboys Fri 23-Oct-09 17:17:06

i wouldnt take much by it, i always measured small and had 9lb plus babies and then ds4 was 10lb 13oz, i even had growth scans and two of the 9lb babies were predicted to be 6lbs hmm

have you had any other signs of gestational diabetes ie sugar in urine etc?

Picante Fri 23-Oct-09 17:21:40

I measured a week behind with the tape measure, and dd was 10 pound 7.... not sure that's put your mind at rest. grin

ParanoiaBigPumkinDestroyer Fri 23-Oct-09 17:33:16

Scan WILL be pretty accurate at this stage. I talked to a consultant about this when I had a scan for baby's size at 36 weeks. She said there was a 5% margin of error either way - not much really.

LadyOfTheFlowers Fri 23-Oct-09 17:35:24

Don't worry.

I get sent to the consultant every time am preg because DS2 was 10 lb 12.5.

I was TOLD by mw DS3 would be huge as they get bigger and bigger hmm even though I told her DS2 physically hurt me when he turned and DS3 wasn't uncomfortable at all - but what would I know? He was only inside MY body? hmm

I was scanned with DS3 - 'Ooh, yes. Very big. We will 'let' him get to 11 bs then do a CS'...

He was 8lb 12.5. Suprise!! Says me!! Told you he was smaller.

As others have said, fluid, position all play a part.

By 30 weeks with DS3 I was measuring 35.

4madboys Fri 23-Oct-09 20:08:46

i had scans at 36 and 38 wks and they werent accurate ie prdicted 6lb and the babies were over 9lb hmm

they wanted to scan me with ds4 who they also thought was small and he was 10 13oz so i hold little faith in them tbh.

oh and i am small, size ten 5 2 size 3 feet and had small bumps but loads of fluid and a big baby, go figure. all natural births too

4madboys Fri 23-Oct-09 20:09:18

thats 10lb 13oz btw, not sure where my lb went..

Evnstar Sat 24-Oct-09 08:08:11

Thank you for the comments, You have helped me chill out a bit, though all this talk of 10lb babies is making my eyes water!

I'm 5ft 2" size 4 feet with a big bump would love to do the natural homebirth bit as I really do not want to go to hospital. That was, i think, what has been upsetting me the most because I have always been confident that Baby J was going to be ok. We shall see what the men in white coats have to say and then do whats best for bump i guess.

But thanks for the support ladies x

LadyOfTheFlowers Sun 25-Oct-09 00:23:29

Having had an 8, 9 and 10 lb'er, I wouldn't say any of them were any less/more painful.

The 9 and 10 lb ones were born in pool at hosp, the 8 lb one born in hosp on bed with G&A.

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Sun 25-Oct-09 00:35:30

How pregnant are you?

MW with tapemeasure is not terribly reliable as a whole host of factors can affect it (growth scans not statistically terribly reliable either, although they've been spot on with both of mine).

MrsArchieTheInventor Sun 25-Oct-09 01:28:52

Hi Evnstar - I was pretty much the same as you, though the midwife gave up on the tapemeasure at 35 weeks. She just kept saying it was a big baby, which is a slightly frightening thing to say to any pregnant woman. Makes you think you're going to be pushing a whole watermelon out of your vagina (which you are in a way, though your watermelon has maleable shoulders and isn't as wide).

Whatever the weight, you'll be fine. It hurts, and there's no sugar coating it, but push how and when the midwives tell you to (i.e. fast and hard to dialate your vagina or normally as directed) and remember it's all for a good ending. No baby is that big that it can't be born somehow, and if the medical staff think the baby is too big to be born vaginally, a section isn't the end of the world. Honestly, you'll be fine.

Evnstar Sat 31-Oct-09 22:35:13

I have had my scan and they say that babe is just under 7lbs. I have about five weeks to go, which means they are guessing at 9lbs 8ish. Will have to see. I guess either way Baby J is comming out somehow. Thanks for all the reassurance x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now