Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would sitting on a hard chair increase the likelihood of DVT?

(7 Posts)
amazonqueen Thu 22-Oct-09 22:39:21

This is a question to do with work. I have a colleague who insists that simply sitting on a hard chair will make his DVT (unspecified date of occurrence) worse. His chair is actually a very expensive special model brought in just for him. He is a big man in all directions but the chair maker too that into account.
He wants gardening leave until we come up with a chair that he finds comfortable.
He doesnt wear compression stockings or have any treatment.

Any ideas?

Mcdreamy Thu 22-Oct-09 22:41:24

No I really wouldn't have thought so, it's not the chair you sit on it's the immobilisation that is the issue. Tell him to get up and walk around!

stanausauruswrecks Thu 22-Oct-09 22:50:03

AFAIK no one has ever had a DVT in their arsegrin They tend to be caused by blood pooling in the veins in the legs, usually caused by immobility. If he wants to reduce the risk of futher DVT then he needs to make sure he gets up and moves about regularly. If he has had a DVT in the past, then he will have been given a course of blood thinning meds to treat it. If it has been a recurring problem, the normal course of action would be to be on something like warfarin. Sounds like he's trying to pull a fst one IMO

bigstripeytiger Thu 22-Oct-09 22:59:27

I agree, it doesnt really matter how hard the chair is.

Does your company have an occupational health department that he could see, who could give definitive guidence on this issue?

amazonqueen Thu 22-Oct-09 23:08:41

Thank you all so much for your answers.
Yes we do have a very good OH dept but he has so far managed to avoid having to speak to them through being 'ill' .
I forgot to mention that he also cites a bout of cellulitis as another reason why the chair isnt suitable-although he only brought that up when questioned about the DVT.
I agree he is pulling a fast one but as reasonable people how can we prove it?

Mcdreamy Thu 22-Oct-09 23:10:08

Because I think he will struggle to find any evidence to support it.

bigstripeytiger Fri 23-Oct-09 21:35:42

I think that he needs to see OH. He cant avoid them for ever, and if the chair is genuinely unsuitable then he will be wanting them to advise on an appropriate one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now