Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone else feel nauseous during parts of their cycle?

(16 Posts)
Frrrightattendant Thu 22-Oct-09 18:35:38

Forgive the TMI, sorry. I've always felt a bit nauseous for a day or two before my period, a bit like when I'm pregnant.

Just had first period since ds2 was born 28 months ago, I had a short (24/5 day) cycle before I was pregnant last, and am now on day 16 of it.

I did have food poisoning on Sunday but that was a really different feeling, it was far more physical, I mean it was just like I needed to be sick - not this kind of sea sickness type of nausea.

I've been feeling like this for a few days now since that. It feels hormonal, related to 'down there' goings on as it were, in fact I basically feel as though I am pregnant. But I can't be unless I have been abducted by aliens, not having slept with anyone since about 3 years ago. smile

Could this be the usual hormones settling down into a cycle, or do I need to contact soemone from Nasa just to check. Afaik I am probably ovulating around now.

Another question - can you take anything for this? I have to go to London tomorrow and dreading feeling sick on the train.

Thanks x

Frrrightattendant Thu 22-Oct-09 18:49:13

Just found this Nausea during ovulation

Hmmm. It doesn't really suggest anything specific.

God I hope this isn't going to be a permanent thing now. I am totally emetophobic. sad

MmeGoblindt Thu 22-Oct-09 18:51:58

I have this. I recently started writing it down and have pinpointed it due to ovulation. Only started after birth of DS, and sometimes got better when I take iron tablets. Not sure if this is placebo effect though, but it makes me feel like I am doing something.

I had my iron levels checked and was on the lower end of normal

Frrrightattendant Thu 22-Oct-09 18:57:31

Oh that is v helpful, thankyou. I may well be low on iron as still breastfeeding ds2 and he is having a fair bit due to teething etc. I think I need to up his proper food intake and cut down, also might start taking spatone again!!

Going to have to find a way of managing it, it's quite horrible isn't it. Might as well be pregnant again...

i get this alot, GP thinks its more than likely IBS instead hmm

Frrrightattendant Thu 22-Oct-09 18:58:57

Ooh. Is it just at ovulation though Lisa? If so maybe you are one of us! smile

Frrrightattendant Thu 22-Oct-09 18:59:40

Apparently due to rise in estrogen? I always thought it was progesterone that made you have morning sickness. Shows how much I know!

Hulababy Thu 22-Oct-09 18:59:48

Yes. For a large part of my cycle I feel very nauseous. This has been much worse since I took some high dose HRT and hormone tablets, and then Clomid, over the last couple of years.

SofaQueen Thu 22-Oct-09 18:59:51

I always have. I think it is related to the level of progesterone.

Frrrightattendant Thu 22-Oct-09 19:05:47

Ladies do you do anything about it, or just put up? I don't cope too well with feeling sick, makes me very tense and anxious and then I can't eat and feel even worse.

I think it might help to take the pill or something. Got to be worth a try.

francaghostohollywood Thu 22-Oct-09 19:12:16

I often feel nauseous the day before/first day of period. I found these homeopathic drops called "Nux Vomica" (I find it in italy, not sure you can get hold of it in the UK), which helps.

francaghostohollywood Thu 22-Oct-09 19:12:57

Yes, I think the pill could help.

totallyawesome Thu 22-Oct-09 19:21:08

I get this, too. I find something sugary does the trick (just like when I was pregnant). Well, any kind of snack, really.

Frrrightattendant Thu 22-Oct-09 20:07:02

Thanks, maybe homeopathy is the answer actually, I hadn't thought of it.
I'll ask the Dr when I go next.

Glad it isn't just me anyway smile
Thankyou

MmeGoblindt Thu 22-Oct-09 22:21:00

Careful with the pill, I tried that and felt nauseous throughout my whole cycle, even with a very low level of hormones.

I feel a bit queasy for a day or two, and just put up wiht it. Might look for the homeopathic remedy that Franca recommended though.

Frrrightattendant Fri 23-Oct-09 06:11:33

Ok, thanks for the tip Mme. Hope it does pass in a day or so, scared it might linger until the end of cycle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now