Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help !!! need advice from other Mum's, Dad's regarding the MMR!

(17 Posts)
Smasha Mon 13-Jun-05 22:52:08

Please, please, please help!!!!!!!
Am really confused about the MMR. When all the scandal hit about this 2 yrs ago, I had to make the decision whether to give my Son single jabs or the MMR. Eventually chose to go with the singles. Shortly after my Son had his Rubella, the Clinic was in the Tabloids as it was being shut down and that there vaccines weren't properly stored!!!!!
I am still unsure whether to give him the MMR now or singles again!!!!
But my other Son is now 13 mths old and I have to decide for him to!!!!!

Would love to hear from people who recently had their children vaccinated with the MMR, and did they suffer any side effects up to 6 wks after.
Thanks

Nbg Mon 13-Jun-05 23:09:09

DD had hers just before xmas last year and she was absolutly fine.

With her other jabs she did react but it was just frachety nothing serious. I thought that when she had her MMR she would have the same response but there was nothing at all and tbh I wasn't all that anxious about her having it to start with.

Jimjams Mon 13-Jun-05 23:11:10

There's lots in the archives Smasha- good and bad responses. If you use "search archived messages" (and current as well - there was a discussion last week) you'll get enough reading to keep you going all summer Usually I'd link but there are so many threads it might be easier just to search. Actually let me see if something works
try this

Jimjams Mon 13-Jun-05 23:13:20

searching current messages is much less daunting:

not sure this will work though

Jimjams Mon 13-Jun-05 23:14:09

No it doesn't - but click on search current messages; type in MMR then search in Health and you get a manageable number of threads.

Smasha Mon 13-Jun-05 23:16:51

Thanks for that ...will start reading

Smasha Mon 13-Jun-05 23:18:11

Hi Nbg, thanks for your relpy, it's all interesting to know. Hopefully will help me make my decision

Jimjams Mon 13-Jun-05 23:20:39

Good luck whatever you decide. You'll get sick of seeing me ranting away after a couple of threads.

Actually I have to do this but, search results for MadDrFitzpatrick will get you some light relief (and more MMR discussions).

Smasha Mon 13-Jun-05 23:21:52

ta am looking at now

benbenandme Thu 16-Jun-05 13:52:40

Dp and I ummed and aahed for months over this and eventually decided whichever way we went would be a bit of a gamble with the unknown, but thought the consequences of not having it done and ds getting ill were worse than having it done and ds getting autism. We decided to give ds the mmr jab and can honestly say that it was fine. He reacted quite badly to the 2/3/4 month jabs so we were concerned that he may react again but I can honestly say that he hardly cried when he had it done and once we were out of the doctors you would never have known he'd had it, he had no side effects whatsoever. This was 4 monthe ago now and the worst bit was trying to make a decision for the best - I wish you luck whichever way you decide to go!!!

wordsmith Thu 16-Jun-05 14:03:16

Smasha - the MMR is still the safest route to protecting your child. Nothing is ever going to be 100% safe so IMO all you can do is make a decision based on the facts. No reliable studies have indicated a link between MMR and autism or other conditions. The only studies to do this have subsequently been discredited. You will find plenty of anecdotal evidence either way but when it comes down to it I believe you have to act on the facts.

Both my DSs have had the MMR. DS1 had no ill effects at all, DS2 was very grumpy for a while about a week later but I think he was teething. He's absolutely fine now.

HappyMumof2 Thu 16-Jun-05 14:07:27

Message withdrawn

Guardianangel Thu 16-Jun-05 14:13:33

Had MMR and did have nasty reaction. Following day became very quiet, very hot and dilirious. Took him straight to hospital, where he threw up copius amounts of food and started fitting. Drop of Calpol alternated with Nurofen and he was right as rain. It sometimes happens, just be ready to respond quickly.

Smasha Thu 16-Jun-05 16:21:47

That is exactly what I'm scared of. Although I think I will pursue the MMR route as opposed to singles because that way I know both children are protected straight away. My youngest's appt is next week. I will be hoping and praying that they do not have a bad reaction.
Still I feel like I'm made this decision so many times in my mind and then change it at the last minute. Scarey.

Aero Thu 16-Jun-05 16:30:44

All three of mine have had MMR with no problems whatsoever - most recently ds2 just a few months ago when I had to go through all the worry again! He had no reaction at all and my worries were unfounded. The fact that the others were ok though didn't stop me worrying, but I managed to put those fears to the back of my mind and have them immumised. (My great-aunt died from measles at age seven so despite that happening many, many years ago, that fear is greater than the other to me).

elliedragon Thu 16-Jun-05 16:59:45

I went to the same clinic as you with ds1 measle injection. He had a severe reaction after a couple of hours and that really scared me. He had the rubella one done somewhere else but has never had the single mumps. I have decided to go with the MMR for him now he is older (age 4) as I worried so much as to what I had done to him with the singles just felt better about the MMR (and more positive research come out since then). I have since had ds2 done with MMR and have piece of mind knowing he has been done.

Smasha Thu 23-Jun-05 22:01:23

Well, My boys have had the MMR on Wednesday....am keeping my finger's crossed!
They're ok at the moment, however I am aware that the symptoms occur from 7 to 10 days after!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now