Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So, anyone had a camera up the back passage, then???

(28 Posts)
ClenchedBottom Wed 21-Oct-09 20:50:29

- I mean the medical procedure, this is not a Friday night thread!
I have to have this done next week and am completely dreading it. The information leaflet actually made me feel worse, not better.
Any reassuring words greatfully received....

Curiousmama Wed 21-Oct-09 20:52:57

Yes I've had it done it was ok didn't last long. They'll hopefully give you a sedative (I didn't get one)

Are you having bleeding? Mine turned out to be ok, probably a fissure? Hope you're ok too.

ClenchedBottom Wed 21-Oct-09 20:59:34

Thanks CuriousMama.
Yes, they're investigating bleeding - actually I think they're being very keen as the last time it happened was last December so it's hardly a big problem! It had happened a few years before that too. Possibly related to endometriosis?? The info leaflet really gave me the horrors, about having an enema and then a 'shower being available if needed' - my mind boggled.....

poorbuthappy Wed 21-Oct-09 21:06:46

I had this a couple of years ago...had to take tablets to flush out my system rather than an enema...
I had a sedative which worked wonderfully, so much so that I can't remember any of it...so I suppose I'm not much help really!

Also I was astounded by how much I farted for hours afterwards...but that was because of the air which they pumped in to check out my intestines, so they may not do that if they are checking for bleeding as the problem area may be further down. Or I may just be talking codswallop cos I ain't no doctor...wink

Seriously, sedative or no sedative...you will be ok.

KurriKurri Wed 21-Oct-09 21:09:50

I've had this. Its not too bad. I didn't have a sedative, but I think you can if you want, it was a bit uncomfortable but not unbearable. The only people in the room were the gastroenterologist, a camera technician or nurse (not sure) and a nurse who sat on a chair by my side and held my hand. Lights were fairly low, you can watch it on a screen if you want to (I didn't!) and afterwards you get a cup of tea and a biscuit grin.

What is it about the info. leaflet and the procedure that is especially worrying you?

KurriKurri Wed 21-Oct-09 21:13:04

Oh just seen about the enema. I got sent one through the post to administer myself. It works within about ten minutes and clears you out, not too horrendous, and once you're empty you wont have to keep dashing to the loo or anything.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 21-Oct-09 21:17:00

I have taken several relatives for them - they are completely zonked from the sedatives and are really not aware of what's going on.

The shower bit is kind of like when you have a smear, you can just feel icky from the KY jelly they put round the probe.

Is it a full colonoscopy? The drugs they give you before hand to ahem clear the way can cause cramping. And obviously it's best to make sure you are near a loo after taking the pills shock But once it's out, you won't later shit yourself or anything because there is nothing left.

It takes about twenty minutes IIRC.

And you get your results very quickly, normally before you leave.

good luck.

ABetaDad Wed 21-Oct-09 21:27:59

Worst part is definitley taking the stuff that makes your bowels empty. Bowel cramps happen and do not under any circumstance imagine you can do anything but be be very near a toilet the day before the procedure. I found MNetting my way through it was helpful. grin

The procedure itself is pretty interesting as you can watch your insides on TV. Not painful as you will have a sedative.

ClenchedBottom Wed 21-Oct-09 21:30:16

Thank you all for your kind words.
No mention of a sedative on the info sheet - it goes on about how flexible the instrument is which should minimise discomfort???
Hmm, being pumped with air to give a better 'view' - think that's mentioned too, so I'll look forward to farting like a trouper afterwards....
Worst bit about the info sheet? Think I just really dislike the whole notion of it, am a v. private person and it all just sounds hideously undignified (if that doesn't sound too silly?) and unpleasant. And having an enema - in a hospital, so little privacy etc - sounds awful! I try to avoid using public toilets normally!

ABetaDad Wed 21-Oct-09 21:38:42

Does it definitley say you are having an enema in the hospial?

Most people do the low residue diet and Picolax solution at home. You could request it as an alternative if you feel better doing it that way.

KurriKurri Wed 21-Oct-09 21:38:53

Honestly please don't worry about lack of dignity. They are very aware that people feel this way, and certainly in my case went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and at ease (as much as poss.) They only uncover what they have to, I didn't feel terribly naked or exposed or anything like that. They may well offer you a sedative once you are there, if you think you'd like one, make sure you have someone with you to bring you home afterwards.

If you want more info. about exactly what will happen, you could ring the department and they may be able to reassure you. Tell them you're worried and they'll help you with that.

bellavita Wed 21-Oct-09 21:44:45

Are you having a Sygmoidoscopy or a Colonoscopy? DH said if it is the Colonoscopy definitely have a sedative.

2shoescreepingthroughblood Wed 21-Oct-09 21:49:20

please make sure you are heavily sedated.
I wasn't and they had to stop short.

ClenchedBottom Wed 21-Oct-09 21:54:27

It's a flexible sygmoidoscopy.
Definitely says enema used in hospital.
Aaargh!

bellavita Wed 21-Oct-09 22:00:32

DH says not too bad then. Not very dignified and not much fun but not as painful. He also says much better than a rigid one! smile

ClenchedBottom Wed 21-Oct-09 22:02:14

Thanks again for soothing words.

[And breeeeeaaaathe emoticon]

KurriKurri Wed 21-Oct-09 22:04:25

Thats what I had CB, I did my own enema at home, its not a huge enema its just to clean out your bowel a bit so they get a good image. They will respect your privacy, and you won't be left dashing about the hospital queueing for a loo (or whatever horrors you are imagininggrin). Its not a long procedure, try not to worry, (I know that's easy to say,) but honestly you will do fine, and they'll hopefully get your problem sorted.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 21-Oct-09 22:11:48

Flexible sygmoidoscopy is much quicker and less uncomfortable than a full colonoscopy.

The enema in hospital will not be bad, look you are having a camera up your bum, objecting to a nurse inserting a suppository which is the size of a pea first, seems rather daft

Usually what happens with an enema is that it will be inserted and then fifteen minutes later you can go to the toilet (in private). (Take a book, you'll be there a few minutes). It's not like you are expected to do it in a bedpan on a public ward with everyone hearing you splat hmm Please don't worry.

ellieloooooooooooooween Wed 21-Oct-09 22:14:05

Hi CB I work in an endoscopy unit and take patients through these every day.
We dont routinely give sedation for the sigmoidoscopy as its such a quick procedure patients manage them relatively well. We dont do enemas unless special circumstances its usually bowel prep which is taken as an (unpleasent) drink. If you want to know more just ask or get me on CAT.

ClenchedBottom Thu 22-Oct-09 18:18:12

Thank you all again, you're very kind to take time to reassure my concerns!
Re: the enema business - it's not the insertion bit I was stressing about, more the fear that I might then have an uncontrollable rear end whilst queueing for a loo somewhere! Bizarre the things we worry about I suppose.
Anyway, thank you.

bramblebooks Sat 24-Oct-09 11:08:55

It's not so bad. Don't wear your best knickers and have a hot water bottle on hand in case you're sore afterwards from them pumping air in to give them a better view inside. boak

Vigilanteawarenessraiser Sat 24-Oct-09 13:29:28

If you have endometriosis, might be best to have sedation/some sort of painkiller. Do ask about this, because if you have adhesions that have fused your bowel to any other organs (do you know what state you're in inside at the moment?) the scar tissue can make a sigmoidoscopy rather painful, though it shouldn't normally be painful at all.

I've just sat and debated with myself whether to tell you that. But the first time I had it done, I was rather shocked afterwards, and part of the problem was that I was unprepared - everyone had led me to believe it wouldn't be that bad, and the reality was rather shocking. Second time around was 11 months post surgery and wasn't painful at all as all the scar tissue had been removed.

My advice would be to raise the endometriosis/possible scar tissue beforehand, accept pain relief/sedation, and discuss beforehand what is to be done if you get partway through and are in pain.
It's true that a sigmoidoscopy is much easier than a colonoscopy anyway.

If the bleeding is endo-related, also bear in mind that they can still have trouble telling that. My endo was right the way through but the colonoscopy was still negative. It helps if they know it might be an issue, though.

Lucyand2 Wed 28-Oct-09 10:37:22

I had this a few years ago, without sedatives. It was a bit painful and uncomfortable, mostly embarassing if I'm honest (but then, this was before I had kids)
They were checking out rectal bleeding and it was just a fissure in the end

ClenchedBottom Wed 28-Oct-09 13:44:53

Ah, more words of wisdom. Thank you for your honesty - I'd really rather know so as to be better prepared, if you see what I mean.
Re; endometriosis - I may or may not have it at all; had scans done a couple of years ago due to some possible endo symptoms but nothing showed up, although I've since read (on MN!) that scans don't necessarily show it anyway.
So, definitely no favourite knickers, hot water bottle on standby...... will I need a shower straight afterwards or am I likely to ok until I get home?
Thanks

Vigilanteawarenessraiser Thu 29-Oct-09 23:39:44

Scans will only show up endometriosis if it is a) very advanced and b) the person interpreting it is very experienced and knows what to look for.

I had very advanced endo (needed a bowel resection in mid-20s, endo all through abdomen, organs fused together, lots of cysts) and nobody could see anything on my scans. After I'd been diagnosed one very elderly, very experienced gynaecologist claimed he could see stuff - but nobody else could.

I was never offered a shower after mine - waited until I got home. Don't remember any of mine being messy.
Gel can be wiped off.
Good luck - once you've done it once, you become very blasee (?sp as I can't do accents on here) about the whole thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now