Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had a coil fitted privately?

(11 Posts)
MegBusset Wed 21-Oct-09 20:16:12

How much did it cost?

I want a copper coil but my GP no longer does it, would mean going to local fpc where they don't do appts, it's walk-in only and last time I was there I waited about two hours. Not ideal when I have a baby and toddler to look after!

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 21-Oct-09 20:21:26

My Gp doesn't do copper coils anymore either, but she gave me a prescription for one which I collected from the chemist and the gp then fitted for me. Could you ask your gp to do this?

MegBusset Wed 21-Oct-09 20:48:06

Hmm, I suppose so but ideally I would have it done by somebody who's well practised at it!

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Wed 21-Oct-09 20:50:05

As opposed to publically?

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 21-Oct-09 20:54:09

Marie Stopes? No idea of cost though

purplepeony Wed 21-Oct-09 22:29:11

Are you near London? Private gynaes at [www.132harleystreet.com]]

purplepeony Wed 21-Oct-09 22:31:00

Silly question- but if it's walk-in can you not get there so you get a 1st appt? Most FPCs work on that basis but in the past I have waited for them opening so to get 1st in the queue.

www.132harleystreet.com

MegBusset Wed 21-Oct-09 22:40:27

I am in the 'burbs so I suppose by the time I got to Harley St I might as well have just gone and waited at the fpc!

Yes, I think as PP says I will just have to get there early and hope for the best.

InMyLittleHead Thu 22-Oct-09 23:12:08

The most important thing is that the person who does it knows what they're doing and have done lots before. I reckon you're more likely to get that from a family planning clinic, tbh, but it is really inconvenient that they don't do appts! And your GP not doing coils, how rubbish! Surely they are the most cost-effective contraception around! (£10 for about 5 years!!)

purplepeony Fri 23-Oct-09 08:59:33

Can you not get a babysitter or a friend to pop along with you?
Have you had 1 before?
I had one once but it half fell out after 3 weeks- they had probs fitting it and TBH I would not have felt like coping with 2 DCs straight away afterwarrds.
Also, many FPC do evening appts- that no good?

agedknees Sat 24-Oct-09 18:24:09

You can get a coil fitted at a sexual health centre. They are usually open for more hours than the fpc, so you may have a shorter wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now