Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anyone had a coil fitted privately?

(11 Posts)
MegBusset Wed 21-Oct-09 20:16:12

How much did it cost?

I want a copper coil but my GP no longer does it, would mean going to local fpc where they don't do appts, it's walk-in only and last time I was there I waited about two hours. Not ideal when I have a baby and toddler to look after!

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 21-Oct-09 20:21:26

My Gp doesn't do copper coils anymore either, but she gave me a prescription for one which I collected from the chemist and the gp then fitted for me. Could you ask your gp to do this?

MegBusset Wed 21-Oct-09 20:48:06

Hmm, I suppose so but ideally I would have it done by somebody who's well practised at it!

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Wed 21-Oct-09 20:50:05

As opposed to publically?

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 21-Oct-09 20:54:09

Marie Stopes? No idea of cost though

purplepeony Wed 21-Oct-09 22:29:11

Are you near London? Private gynaes at [www.132harleystreet.com]]

purplepeony Wed 21-Oct-09 22:31:00

Silly question- but if it's walk-in can you not get there so you get a 1st appt? Most FPCs work on that basis but in the past I have waited for them opening so to get 1st in the queue.

www.132harleystreet.com

MegBusset Wed 21-Oct-09 22:40:27

I am in the 'burbs so I suppose by the time I got to Harley St I might as well have just gone and waited at the fpc!

Yes, I think as PP says I will just have to get there early and hope for the best.

InMyLittleHead Thu 22-Oct-09 23:12:08

The most important thing is that the person who does it knows what they're doing and have done lots before. I reckon you're more likely to get that from a family planning clinic, tbh, but it is really inconvenient that they don't do appts! And your GP not doing coils, how rubbish! Surely they are the most cost-effective contraception around! (£10 for about 5 years!!)

purplepeony Fri 23-Oct-09 08:59:33

Can you not get a babysitter or a friend to pop along with you?
Have you had 1 before?
I had one once but it half fell out after 3 weeks- they had probs fitting it and TBH I would not have felt like coping with 2 DCs straight away afterwarrds.
Also, many FPC do evening appts- that no good?

agedknees Sat 24-Oct-09 18:24:09

You can get a coil fitted at a sexual health centre. They are usually open for more hours than the fpc, so you may have a shorter wait.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: