Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How can i get rid of the smell of sick?

(10 Posts)
mckenzie Mon 13-Jun-05 19:57:18

Poor DS has been sick today about 5 times (caught a bug i think). Trouble is, he didn't make it once to the toilet or the bowl so I have sick stains on the lounge carpet, the study carpet and the playroom carpet. And the smell is still noticeable even though I've used 1001 cleaner and dettol.

Any tips please for clearing it up completely??

80sMum Mon 13-Jun-05 19:57:57

Bicarbonate of soda will do it. Neutralises the acid.

WigWamBam Mon 13-Jun-05 19:58:07

Sprinkle it with bicarbonate of soda, leave it on for a few hours if you can, then vacuum it up. That'll shift the smell.

Lonelymum Mon 13-Jun-05 20:00:00

Vinegar diluted in water works too (obviously white vinegar!) and a bowl of dilute vinegar placed in a room will eradicate lingering smells too. I recommend this every time I see this question but so far have only managed to convince one Mner!

mckenzie Mon 13-Jun-05 20:39:39

well luckily for me, I've got a few rooms to treat (ha ha) so I've tried the Bicard of soda in one room and the white vinegar solution in another and I'll report back tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips. and please keep your fingers crossed for me that DS isn't sick anymore. It's his birthday on wednesday.

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 20:44:03

Make the bicarb into a thin paste with water and rub it in with a cloth or a brush - let it dry then hoover out.

It doesn't smell itself and sorry, LM, but vinegar does - even white vinegar!

mckenzie Mon 13-Jun-05 20:50:31

too late janh. i've just sprinkle the bicard on the places. is that not good enough?

Detta Mon 13-Jun-05 21:22:15

You could try biological washing powder/liquid. It breaks down the enzymes in vomit (or something like that!) I read it on a household hints website, and it really does work. Hope all is well now!

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 21:25:59

I think it depends how far in the sick went, mckenzie! If you sprinkle the bicarb it just stays on the surface, if you rub in the liquid it soaks in a bit. See how it goes

mckenzie Mon 13-Jun-05 21:36:02

thanks all. I'll leave it now until the morning and then re-assess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now