Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Im due a smear after Lletz procedure but pregnant. Spoke to hospital, worried about advice

(6 Posts)
hormonalmum Wed 21-Oct-09 15:00:54

Hi, feeling bit worried - is this normal?

I had a Lletz procedure last year to treat grade 2 CIN. Then I had a follow up smear after 6 months which was clear.
I am now due another smear to check results again before going on annual smears for 10 years.
I am 12 weeks pregnant so called the hospital and asked what I should do. They told me to have a smear 3 months after baby is born and then go onto annual ones as has been recommended.

Is this normal procedure in these circumstances? It will almost be 2 years since the original procedure but I will only be on the second follow up smear.

I just feel a bit wobbly about it, given that I nearly missed having the original smear that caught the CIN and just want to be as careful as possible about following up.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Have to log off now as on school run, but will be back.

TIA

HolidaysQueen Wed 21-Oct-09 15:09:53

I'm not sure if it is normal but just wanted to let you know my experience of regular smears and pg.

I have been having 6-monthly smears plus occasional biopsy for the last 4 years for abnormal cells (but not needed treatment yet). I had a smear while in early stages of pregnancy (6-7 weeks i think) but they then put me on 12 month check so I didn't need another while pg. I guess that may have been partly because the results were clear.

If you have had one smear post lletz and that was clear then I probably wouldn't be too worried about waiting a bit longer than normal for the second, but if you will be worrying about it then I might push to have it as smears are okay to have in pregnancy. Perhaps though you should get your GP to write a letter to your consultant so that your consultant can decide whether you need a smear sooner based on your situation, rather than just going off what the official policy is which i am guessing is what you were told when you called.

hormonalmum Wed 21-Oct-09 21:15:16

Thanks HolidaysQueen, I will speak to the practice nurse about it. I am due to go next week anyhow and see what she says about smears in pregnancy as she is the one that does them.
Depending what she says, I will speak to GP.

I just don't like the idea of going so long between the smears.

Thanks for helping put my mind at rest.

crokky Wed 21-Oct-09 21:20:06

I think you can safely have smears in pg, and I believe you can also have them sooner than 3 months post natal. I had a smear when my DD was 5 weeks old because the midwife had seen something that she didn't recognise on my cervix whilst I was in labour with DD.

I would definately ask at your surgery, they could probably give you one to make sure everythign is OK.

rabbitstew Wed 21-Oct-09 22:05:53

I think it is possible to have smears in pregnancy. Would it be particularly helpful, though - they wouldn't want to treat any abnormalities found while you were pregnant, anyway? And the chances of having the all clear 6-months after treatment, but having something seriously wrong (or indeed, anything wrong) less than a year after that are extremely low. As for having smears less than 3 months after giving birth, I think this is possible, although when I went for my 6-week check after ds1 and ds2 and asked for a smear at that point (I was due one), the doctor had a look and told me my cervix wasn't sufficiently healed, yet, post-birth and I would have to wait. So, all in all, I think you were given sensible advice.

hormonalmum Thu 22-Oct-09 11:54:24

Thanks ladies and good point Rabbit - they would not treat anything they found.
I feel a little more reassured about the advice I was given now.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now