Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how many days after stopping pill does period start?

(5 Posts)
sacbina Wed 21-Oct-09 11:07:36

hello all, I wonder if anyone can help with a slightly odd question.

I am as regular as clockwork, period on 28th day, ovulate on 14th day - i can feel it happening. for many reasons i want to be able change the date i ovulate from a Thursday to a Monday. hmm

After all those years of taking the pill I now can't remember how many days it was between taking the last pill and period starting - was it 5?

Recently on a safari holiday so took a few contraceptive pills to delay onset on period for a few days until we got home, which worked fine. Want to try the same trick again but with a more accurate outcome!

Hubby works away on a contract Mon-Fri, and will do so for the next year, so want to change ovulation date to earlier in the week so we have a better chance of getting pregnant

I know sperm can live for up to 7 days waiting for the egg, but so far they havn't. Also know nothing is wrong with all the working parts as had a miscarriage in January this year after falling pregnant over Xmas - when we weren't subject to the weekend only routine.

Any thoughts much appreciatedgrin

Sacbina
x

purplepeony Wed 21-Oct-09 18:44:24

I don't think there is an answer to your question!

It's a bit confusing- are you meaning you want to take the pill for a few days/weeks to try to re-set your cycle, so you will ovulate at a time when your DH is around?

I think you might be expecting a bit too much of your body to work to order that way!

Also, your cycles might change by a day or so - you can't guarantee that just because you are every 28 days now and ovulate on day 14, that it will always stay like that.

If you are only having sex at weekends, then obviously the chances of conceiving are lower. However, sperm can live for up to 7 days.

I don't think it's realistic to believe that just because you have always ovulated on a Thursday, you will forever! all kinds of things can put your cycle forward or backwards by a day or more.

I thought I couldn't conceive on day 8-9 of my cycle, as I had long cycles and was convinced I'd ovulate round about day 16 or later- I now have a 20 yr old DD which proves me wrong!

If you don't mind me saying so, getting so hung-up on timings like this is probably going to be counter-productive!

purplepeony Wed 21-Oct-09 18:47:20

oh p.s.- my bleeding used to begin roughly 48 hrs after last pill of the pack.

But it's not a period, as you'll know, so there is absolutely no guarantee that your next pill-free cycle would begin when you want it to, after you had stopped taking it- it could take 5 weeks or 6 weeks to come right, so all your planning might go to pot!

sacbina Thu 22-Oct-09 09:26:41

thanks for your thoughts. i know its a bit of a long shot, but thought i'd ask. we left this baby making lark a bit late, i'm now 37, and now with hubbies work seems that it might be twice as hard, oh well.

purplepeony Thu 22-Oct-09 20:52:28

any chance you can visit him mid week for a spot of you know what?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now