Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oh bugger, impacted wisdom tooth :(

(4 Posts)
nellynaemates Tue 20-Oct-09 21:05:29

Sore, back bottom right molar already been pushed sideways. Feeling a bit ill today Can now see gap where tooth is coming through but definitely not enough room for it. Got dentist in my old town but not one here, hoping that will get sorted tomorrow.

If I can't get an appointment straight away should I go for emergency dentist? Bit worried and wondered what other people have experienced. Sorry for truncated sentences. Tired

Thank you.

kolakube Tue 20-Oct-09 21:10:15

Get a dentist to look at it but in the meantime try hot salt water mouthwashes, ibuprofen if you can usually take it and a mouthwash called Corsodyl (chlorhexidine gluconate) available everywhere. if it becomes very painful, swollen, smelly, limits mouth opening or eating you may need a course of antibiotics. Often they flare and settle particularly when you are run down or stressed. If it recurs often, time to consider removal. HTH.

purplepeony Wed 21-Oct-09 18:49:28

I woudn't panic- mine hung around for months before I had it removed. You might find it settles down. Thing is- have you had regular dental check ups- as if so, this should have been spotted on an X ray and removal suggested before it became painful.

nellynaemates Thu 22-Oct-09 16:26:11

Thanks for your replies.

Well I've so far failed to get on an NHS list in my local area and my dentist is in my old town so my last check up (including x rays) was just over a year ago, I've had flare ups before but never like this.
I'm now thinking I'm possibly going mad because for my back molars to move this much I would have thought there would be more pain but I'm sure they weren't like this before. Back bottom right is at an angle pointing inwards, top right is pointing outwards, bottom left also pointing inwards (all quite markedly). I had braces when I was a teenager and really paranoid about a knock on effect pushing all my teeth out of place. Also I'm sure it's going to effect the wear of my teeth because of the way that I bite down, with the molars at odd angles they're going to grind on each other and cause quicker wear and tear than they should.

Fingers crossed I will get to see a dentist in the next few days, I know someone who knows someone and I'm to phone them tomorrow so will find out the story. Don't think they're infected luckily (have been endlessly googling) so I guess I don't need to worry in the immediate future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now