Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

The mini pill

(7 Posts)
gemmac1 Tue 20-Oct-09 15:51:01

Hi everyone, I have got my post natal check up on Thurs so will be discussing contaception with my GP/nurse. I believe that if you are bf you can only take the mini pill? Ive read that this isnt very effective though? Although my dd was concieved whilst taking the pill....and yes I was taking it correctly ....has anybody got any opinions about the mini pill please?

cassell Tue 20-Oct-09 16:10:19

I've been taking it from my 6wk check, ds is now 6.5mo and so far it has been ok, but the main problem with it that I've found is that you have to take it at exactly the same time every day and if you take it more than 3 hrs late then it is not effective for the next 7 days, even with a daily alarm on my phone I have managed to forget it a couple of times blush

singsong Tue 20-Oct-09 16:10:32

If you want to use pills and are breastfeeding then yes it has to be the mini pill. It is not uncommon for the minipill to fail, although cerazette is a newer mini pill and works a bit differently and has a lower failure rate than the older mini pills. If you're really concerned about pill failure though you may be better to consider the contraceptive injection or mirena - both are fine for breastfeeding.

Northernlurker Tue 20-Oct-09 16:20:20

The mini pill is very effective if you take it properly. I always took mine before bed - keeping them on the bedside table is an effective reminder and I used it for 10 years of effective contraception only stopping when dh did his bit in the family planning stakes grin I got pregnant twice in that time - both very much planned.

gemmac1 Thu 22-Oct-09 14:38:06

Ive decieded to go with the mini pill....dont like the idea of the implant or injection....so fingers crossed that it is effective

Northernlurker Thu 22-Oct-09 18:38:31

Just read the info carefully and pick a time of day to take it that will be easy to remember. My pill (neogest) was quite an old one I think and if you missed one you had to take it for 14 days to be effective, also the same with antibiotics and d&v bugs - it was 14 days after you've stopped taking the ab's or whatever. Now there are some which you only have to take for 7 days to be effective. Check this and do exactly what it says and I'm sure you will be fine.

Seona1973 Thu 22-Oct-09 19:48:28

I use cerazette and it has a 12 hour window if you forget to take one so it is just like the combined pill. I havent got pregnant yet so it must be fairly effective!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now