Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone actually tried a bodyclock ?

(16 Posts)
LylaB Tue 20-Oct-09 14:58:23

Hello,

With the sudden arrival of dark cold mornings, I have been thinking about buying on of the sunrise bodyclocks to 'help the natural waking process'.

http://www.lumie.com/shop/products/bodyclock-advanced-200

They quite expensives so I would like to know whether any one else has used them ?

Thanks

Drooper Tue 20-Oct-09 19:24:31

I would be really interested in knowing this too. Find it horrible to be woken by the alarm smile

RubberDuck Tue 20-Oct-09 19:25:53

I use one and it does help. But I do also need to use a lightbox as well (I use a Golite M2)

FaintlyMacabre Tue 20-Oct-09 19:28:24

I have one. It is lovely. Nice gentle awakening rather than the startling ring of the alarm followed by a sudden glare from switching the light on. (Yes, I am a sensitive flower in the mornings!)
I found that I don't need the back-up alarm to wake me up though DH who is a much heavier sleeper does like to use the beeper too.

Drooper Tue 20-Oct-09 19:31:55

Thanks for this- are there advantages in buying a more expensive one. I am a bargain betty!

RubberDuck Tue 20-Oct-09 19:36:12

The more expensive lumies have different feature sets - depends which suits your needs best.

As for different brands, I'd check what the quality of the actual light is - one of the reasons that SAD lights are more expensive is the very specific spectrum and brightness they have. You can find bargains, but I wouldn't go cheap - does that make sense?

Drooper Tue 20-Oct-09 19:47:11

Yes,good advice, thanks.

Do you find these bodyclocks can help with your SAD? Would be happy paying more in that case.

(sorry OP for slight highjack!)

RubberDuck Tue 20-Oct-09 19:50:13

The body clock helps me wake up at the right time in the morning without feeling quite so groggy and miserable. I find that I need the GoLite to help with the other SAD symptoms - though it's a bit of trial and error to get the right timing/dose.

Drooper Tue 20-Oct-09 19:53:45

Thank-you so much.

Off to do a SAD search now smile

LylaB Wed 21-Oct-09 11:45:44

Wow ! I missed the whole convo last night - but can I just thank you thank you thank Rubberduck to confirming the need to purchase. I think I need a SAD lite too and will check out GoLite.

Ta very much smile

LittleWeePickle Wed 21-Oct-09 22:02:20

You can buy the bulbs on eBay - perhaps that is a cheaper way of solving this problem without the expense of an actual lamp?

You could just plug a SAD bulb into an existing lamp IYSWIM

Not sure if there are any drawbacks tho?

RubberDuck Wed 21-Oct-09 22:16:11

Hmm, I would be very wary of buying from ebay something like this tbh. These are very bright bulbs that have the potential to do serious damage to eyesight if used improperly. Official SAD products are thoroughly safety tested to prevent issues like that - there is absolutely no way I would attempt a DIY solution.

GhoulsAreLoud Wed 21-Oct-09 22:17:38

I have a lumie bodyclock that I want to sell if anyone is interested.

Drooper Thu 22-Oct-09 18:20:06

Why are you selling it?

CarGirl Thu 22-Oct-09 18:30:30

My lumie clock doesn't have a silent setting, so I have to chose a noise setting and then have it turned to the minimum.

Next issue is that is still wakes me to easily - as soon as the light comes on it wakes me up rather than it being a gradual process!
I end up with it on the floor so it is further away from me/more gentle so it doesn't work me up so quickly.

So in short I have mixed feelings on it tbh.

GhoulsAreLoud Thu 22-Oct-09 20:47:55

I haven't used it in years - basically since I started working from home 4 years ago - because I don't set an alarm anymore, just wait til I wake up naturally <lazy>

Also have a 14mo early riser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now