Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Peeling skin on fingers

(5 Posts)
toolly Tue 20-Oct-09 13:43:14

I have a really bad sore throat, unable to swallow unless I steel myself. I have also noticed that the skin on my fingers is peeling. I had this once before when I was 18, same thing, an excruciatingly painful throat. I was just prescribed ABs and it cleared up pretty quickly

Is it a specific type of bacteria that would cause this (the peeling fingers I mean?)

saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 20-Oct-09 18:31:48

Strep bacteria - same thing that causes tonsilitis, scarlet fever, scarletina etc. ds1 has scarlet fever and his fingers and toes peeled. You should get some anti-b's.

ThisBoyDerekDrew Tue 20-Oct-09 18:39:13

Agree it sounds like a strep infection.

One typical course is strep throat followed by scarlet feevr (which is swollen tongue and rash based) followed by peeling digits.

You also need to be careful as strep can sometimes cause kidney problems and sometimes cause rheumatic fever which can sometimes cause heart problems.

I would go to GP for ABs as ABs can reduce the chances of the futher complications.

WobblyPig Tue 20-Oct-09 18:49:02

Rheumatic fever very rare these days. Proliferative GN - a kidney problem also very rare. Possible that fingers unrelated. If it is will get better on own. Avoid contact with water and apply vaseline.

ThisBoyDerekDrew Tue 20-Oct-09 18:52:07

Rheumatic fever and GN are both very rare because the initial strep infection is usually treated, and therefore prevents the GN and RF.

TBH they are rare anyway but the current advise is to treat strep infections to make them rarer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now