Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

temp of 39 degrees 4 day after giving birth - any thoughts? related to milk coming in???

(18 Posts)
blowninonabreeze Mon 19-Oct-09 21:25:24

Sorry - am asking for the sister of a friend

Gave birth 4 days ago NVD, healthy baby and mum, few stitches, discharged same day. Stitches last examined yesterday - clean.

Milk coming in today but baby feeding well and contented, no obvios mastitis as such but she is engorged.

Still bleeding and no change in that respect. No pain.

Feeling generally lethargic and tired (she has a 4 day old grin)

Midwife has told her on the phone that the temp is due to her milk coming in and she'll see her tomorrow.

Reasonable explanation? I can't remeber a temp associated with my milk coming in, but that means nothing. Anyone else?

thirtysomething Mon 19-Oct-09 21:27:31

would err on side of caution. can get post-partum infection which can be v. nasty.

morningpaper Mon 19-Oct-09 21:28:53

bullshit she should go to A&E immediately

Post-partum infection still kills women

Don't piss around with this sort of thing

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 19-Oct-09 21:28:54

She should see a Dr asap to be checked over.

It's probably nothing to be overly worried about but some infections post partum can be very serious and prompt treatment is the key.

blowninonabreeze Mon 19-Oct-09 21:30:50

that's my worry too.
Will pass on the wisdom of Mumsnet - think they are waiting to talk to out of hours GP.

NorktasticNinja Mon 19-Oct-09 21:31:06

She needs immediate medical attention. Definitely.

MrsHappy Mon 19-Oct-09 21:33:32

A quick visit to Dr Google suggests that there can be a fever the day milk comes in (see here) but frankly I wouldn't mess around with the possibility of post-partum infection and she ought to to see a doctor.

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Mon 19-Oct-09 21:35:35

I agree, get some medical attention now, there's something called childbed fever, it's a strep infection after birth and it can be fatal, it's best to get this checked just incase.

I hope all is well, it can be easily missed.

blowninonabreeze Mon 19-Oct-09 21:36:24

Thank you all,
Have relayed your unanimous thought back to them. I'm not expecting to hear anymore tonight but will update with an outcome tomorrow.

luvaduck Mon 19-Oct-09 21:39:35

hI
GET HER SEEN TONIGHT - OUT OF HOURS DOC MAY FOB HER OFF
oops sorry abotu caps

tell her to call albour ward asap
(am a doctor)

could be milk but could be post partum fever/endometritis and needs to be assessed. you don't always have abdo pain and discharge

aWitchForLifeNotJustHalloween Mon 19-Oct-09 21:48:09

another vote for getting seen asap, re-refer to pn ward or get mw out NOW. I had uterine infection after dcs 2 & 3, hideously painful if left. Don't take any risks, please.

difficultdecision Fri 23-Oct-09 12:36:22

Hope she is now ok, thought this might be of general interest.

www.jessicastrust.org.uk/

findingmyfeet Mon 26-Oct-09 10:36:26

Am said sister of friend - just signed up to mumsnet!

Thanks for all advice.

was fobbed off by labour ward, midvives, and GP surgery, but hubbie persisted and got emergency GP appointment. GP diagnosed flu, but i said i didn't think i was getting flu. Finally persuaded her to test urine - bladder +/- womb infection diagnosed. Antibiotics seem to have done the trick.

Thanks for encouraging us to persist for further diagnosis!

now a happy little family again!

3littlefrogs Mon 26-Oct-09 10:39:31

Oh thank goodness - I was just about to dive in and say A&E NOW. But I see that you have had the right advice and got treatment.

The midwife is way off IMO. 39 is far to high to be milk coming in. That is frightening. I hope the midwife learns from this.

morningpaper Mon 26-Oct-09 10:44:03

Wow I'm so glad you persisted, I'm shocked that medical professionals STILL don't take this sort of thing seriously

Hope you improve swiftly!

congrats on your baby!

MmeGoblindt Mon 26-Oct-09 11:13:36

Welcome to MN, findingmyfeet. I am glad that you were forceful enough to push for the correct diagnosis. That is very scary, I hope that the midwife and GP were apologetic.

Pennies Tue 27-Oct-09 09:53:33

Glad you're all OK. This is close to my heart. I had a temp of 41 degrees and despite talking to two GPs, my midwife and NHS direct I was fobbed off. Luckily DH took control and made me go to A&E and I was admitted the moment I turned up.

There should be way more info on this - it kills and it kills fast. If DH hadn't taken me when he did it is very possible that I would not be here today.

Northernlurker Tue 27-Oct-09 09:57:30

It is very depressing that so many medical professionals were happy to leave a recently delivered woman with a fever without treatment! Post childbirth infection is horrible and serious. In centuries past it killed so many mothers - and it would still kill today despite antibiotics if allowed to get hold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now