Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sleepwalking

(14 Posts)
charliecat Mon 13-Jun-05 10:29:28

My dd occasionaly sleepwalks and last night she managed to get down the stairs somehow without breaking her neck as id lined each step with clothes, dirty, clean, needed to be ironed, too small...any way...whats the chances of her going outside? Made me really worried thinking about it.

starlover Mon 13-Jun-05 10:37:53

i used to sleepwalk when i was little.
the chances of her getting outside are pretty much zero if you've locked all your doors!

charliecat Mon 13-Jun-05 10:39:43

We leave the keys in the doors..just in case there was a fire so we could get back out, in my house keys not in the keyhole get lost for weeks..

potty1 Mon 13-Jun-05 10:41:36

How old is she charliecat?

I was a serial sleepwalker. Never hurt myself but did often wake whilst wandering and it is very scary. If she does it a lot I would take precautions with regard to her getting outside - my dad once found me sitting on the front step. Needless to say the key was removed to a less accessible place (for me)from that day on.

My son used to sleepwalk but seems to have grown out of it now - he wandered out on to the landing whilst we were on holiday in Menorca . It was generally his thing to sleepwalk when he was in a strange place.

potty1 Mon 13-Jun-05 10:44:12

When we are on hols I put the key under my pillow - both because of ds's sleepwalking and because my dh tends to wander when he's had a drink. He's not asleep as such just a bit out of it IYKWIM

charliecat Mon 13-Jun-05 10:47:44

She 7..theres no pattern to it. It frightens the life out of me shes like a ghost wandering about..freaks me out nig time!

lemonice Mon 13-Jun-05 11:11:09

I would take reasonable care to make sure she can't leave, dd2 used to do this and we found her trying the back door handle on several occasions.

She also used to wee in strange places..

charliecat Mon 13-Jun-05 11:26:34

Ok...will learn to hang key up near door but out of reach.

feelingold Mon 13-Jun-05 11:56:05

I used to sleep walk up until the age of about 15/16. I very often wandered about in the night but never came to any harm. My parents used to have keys on a hook high up when I was small but I do not think I ever tried to get out, just used to wander into everyone elses rooms etc and sit on the bottom of the bed (now that used to freak everyone out, waking up to find me sat there).

charliecat Mon 13-Jun-05 12:31:34

My dd stands at the side of the bed and I find her just staring at me...its really scary

potty1 Mon 13-Jun-05 12:34:14

My sister once found me lying on the floor trying to get my head under the radiator. She told me to get back to bed (I usually went quietly) - I told her to sod off and stop being a spoilsport!

charliecat Mon 13-Jun-05 12:34:42

LMAO

dizzydo Mon 13-Jun-05 15:19:58

My eight year old regularly comes downstairs and stands gazing vacantly into space. we just hold her hand and lead her back upstairs where she goes back into bed as meek as a lamb. She remembers nothing of it in the morning. And so far she has always negotiated any toys laying on her floor and obstacles on the stairs so it seems that they are on auto pilot really and look out for such things. I dont know. Very strange.

bigdonna Mon 13-Jun-05 21:51:52

i have a niece who used to sleepwalk she was staying in a caravan and she went out the window in the middle of the night and was found at the swing park.my niece regularly walked downstairs picked a vase up put to her mouth as if drinking then put herself back to bed.It is very freaky her eyes are all glazed and she will answer you when you talk to her she will even tell you what she is doing(well she thinks shes doing).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now