Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Think it's the onset of arthritis, any advice?

(6 Posts)
costagirl Sun 18-Oct-09 21:15:20

Family history of it, I'm afraid, my Mum has replaced knees (yes both at the same time), and hip. I'm in a lot of pain down one arm and into my hand/fingers - quite a hot sort of pain, in the joints. Nagging sort of pain that makes me feel a bit sick and irritable. Noticed how much it hurt lifting a saucepan full of veg today.

Is there any point going to the GP? I get the feeling they'll just give me some anti-inflammotories, which I've never found particularly useful. Would quite like a proper assessment eg x ray, but get the feeling I'll be fobbed off with tablets. Anyone had similar or found anything that helps?

costagirl Sun 18-Oct-09 21:24:24

Sorry for typo - inflammatories. grin

LilRedWG Sun 18-Oct-09 21:26:36

Request blood tests to check for rheumatoid arthritis.

LilRedWG Sun 18-Oct-09 21:28:47

Family history here too, so GP has done tests on me.

Heated Sun 18-Oct-09 21:34:39

I have recently been diagnosed with RA but I also have thyroid problems which could also be the cause and I don't think this avenue has been explored properly.

Since the anti-flammatories have had unpleasant side effects I've stopped taking them; the pain was preferable. For the past three months I've been taking Glucosamine & Chondroitin and also EPA which I think just which good old paracetamol is taking the edge off

costagirl Sun 18-Oct-09 21:37:54

Ok, thanks for that. Think I will go and have a chat with GP. It's a bugger, isn't it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now