Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

arthritis flare & diet any suggestions?

(5 Posts)
aokay Sun 18-Oct-09 16:46:22

Hi - have osteo-arthritis (but have also had repeat reactive arthritis), and have just had bad test results back after a bone scan. Am feeling very debilitated - having problems driving and managing round house. As I have to do school run and look after my kids, bit of a nightmare . Had big steroid and anaesthetic shots 10 days ago but have been in severe pain since. Anyone had any success with dietary controls at all? or supplements as I need to get back on my feet before dh gest sacked for all time he's taking off work. Sorry for long post but would love ideas - thanks.

Niecie Sun 18-Oct-09 16:57:43

Sorry you are having a tough time.

I don't know anything about your type of arthritis specifically but DH takes rosehip supplements for his arthritis which comes from his psoriasis.

Have you tried that at all? There have been studies which show it can be useful and DH reckons he knows when he hasn't taken it for a while because he has run out.

He also take cod liver oil, glucosamine and a multivitamin.

Apologies if not relevant to your type of arthritis.

aokay Sun 18-Oct-09 22:39:33

Hi Niecie - many thanks for tips - do remeber hearing baout rosehips but never tried - thanks for replying.

cakeywakey Mon 19-Oct-09 23:45:53

Sorry to hear that you're in a bad way. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and take Cod Liver Oil and Evening Primose Oil supplements.

I'm afraid that I don't know anything about dietary control of OA, but, if you haven't already seen it, the Arthritis Research Campaign published a complementary therapy report earlier this year that may give you some ideas. You can find it here: www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6300/6300.asp

alypaly Tue 20-Oct-09 00:00:08

sorry to hear you are in so much pain that DH has had to take time off work...poor you. Have you tried high strength glucosamine for a minimum of 3 months.
Have you seen anyone to do with your reactive arthritis..do you mean rheumatoid?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now