Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

has anyone ever had a salivary gland infection?

(13 Posts)
candyfluff Sun 18-Oct-09 12:32:10

can you tell me what it feels like please?
i think i may have this
i started a thread in the week about a bad taste in my mouth for 2 weeks now ,meatallic/sour and now i have pain in my mouth near my ear where my jaw joins and all up to head and neck only on one side,saw the gp who recommened corsodyl which had helped with the bad taste,but not with the pain .

candyfluff Sun 18-Oct-09 13:04:31

bump

candyfluff Sun 18-Oct-09 16:08:44

bump

candyfluff Mon 19-Oct-09 07:26:42

bump

Cometrickortreatingwithme Mon 19-Oct-09 07:49:00

Sorry no idea but bumping for you.

Found this online too

What are the symptoms of salivary gland stones?
The common symptoms are pain and swelling of the affected gland at mealtimes. This occurs if the stone completely blocks a duct. You normally make extra saliva during a meal which pours into the mouth. However, the saliva cannot pass into the mouth if the duct is blocked by a stone. The pain can be sudden and intense just after starting a meal. Swelling soon follows. The pain and swelling ease over about 1-2 hours after a meal.

However, most stones do not block a duct completely. A stone may only partially block saliva flow, or not block the flow at all if it is embedded in the body of the gland. In these situations the symptoms can vary and include one or more of the following:

Dull pain from time to time over the affected gland.
Swelling of the gland. Swelling may be persistent, or vary in size from time to time.
Infection of the gland may occur causing redness and pain. This may develop into an abscess (ball of infection and pus) and make you feel quite unwell.
Some people with salivary gland stones have no symptoms at all. A stone may be found by chance on an x-ray picture taken for another reason.

foxinsocks Mon 19-Oct-09 07:51:02

have you seen the dentist? that's what my pain was like when my tooth went bad (and had to be pulled). For ages, I thought I had an ear infection or something wrong with my jaw!

(are you v swollen?)

candyfluff Mon 19-Oct-09 07:56:41

thanks for repling - its really bad today - im not sure weather its the dentist today or the gp again,its worse when i eat and it feels very swollen but from the outside it doesnt look it ifswim.
really dont think its an abcess as all the symptoms seem to fit with the salivary gland .

foxinsocks Mon 19-Oct-09 08:00:59

I would say definitely go to the dentist. He can also do x-rays there and then to rule out a tooth problem so at least you could cross it off the list.

My symptoms were quite similar as the tooth was cracked right through so the filling was leaking out and it did taste awful but I just didn't realise what it was.

Anyway, might not be that but worth ruling it out.

At least then you can go back to the doctor and tell him/her that you know it isn't a tooth problem and take it from there.

You poor thing!

candyfluff Mon 19-Oct-09 08:05:24

yes i think i will see the dentist - ds is ill with a high temp dh is at work and i have no food in the house so have to do a big shop at tesco's so lord only knows when i can fit the dentist in ,and i really do not have any money to pay for the dentist until dh gets paid on thursday sad
any ideas how much an x-ray would cost?

Cometrickortreatingwithme Mon 19-Oct-09 08:07:22

This may help www.whatprice.co.uk/dentist/private-prices.html.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cometrickortreatingwithme Mon 19-Oct-09 22:25:00

How are you?

MadameDefarge Mon 19-Oct-09 22:30:31

Um, I had this once, at lunch at work, really bizarre...a collegue told me to massage the area of the gland and it dislodged the "stone', a bit like chalk!

candyfluff Tue 20-Oct-09 09:14:44

thankyou for checking in with me im ok today -its gone right down and no pain today so im hoping in someway its shifted.
got a gp appointment for wedsnesday but think i will have to cancel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now