Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dentists? Anyone? Gum disease with no symtoms?

(7 Posts)
LongInTheTooth Sun 18-Oct-09 09:23:26

Don't suppose anyone can help?

Over the last few weeks to a month, the gum around one of my upper canines has visibly retracted. It's now about 3mm higher than all the others and started to get quite noticeable. The thing is, I have no symptoms at all - the gum isn't red, or swollen, or sore or bleeding. Nothing at all to suggest a problem.

What can I do?!

I saw my dentist in July and back again in December.

This happened to my lower front teeth when I was about 13/14. Again the gum moved with no symptoms at all. In general I have very good teeth, with just one filling in my wisdom tooth, but I just don't know what to do about this?

Thanks

whomovedmychocolate Sun 18-Oct-09 10:29:42

This can happen as you get older (sorry). You should get a dentist to check it out just in case but it is probably just part of the aging process (sorry)

LongInTheTooth Sun 18-Oct-09 10:44:59

Don't say that, Chocolate!!

I've only just turned 30!

You're probably right though. sigh

whomovedmychocolate Sun 18-Oct-09 15:56:39

Perhaps change your name to longinthegum then wink

whomovedmychocolate Sun 18-Oct-09 15:56:53

Do you smoke?

LongInTheTooth Sun 18-Oct-09 18:26:03

No, don't smoke, and generally very healthy lifestyle - lots of fruit, veg, etc.

See the dentist regularly and never had any problems - just this receding thing when I was 13/14. Nobody mentioned anything at the time, but I do remember that it was jsut the same - no signs of infection or anything. Certainly no pain or bleeding. A dentist more recently made reference to a time when I 'clearly hadn't brushed my teeth as well as I did now', but that there were no problems now. The thing is, there weren't any problems then either.

I do have various complicated medical problems, including a dodgy immune system. Could that be a problem?

Brush my teeth twice a day, and jsut the one filling.

Help! I keep dreaming that my teeth are falling out.... !

MissAnneElk Sun 18-Oct-09 18:46:24

If your dental practice has a hygenist I'd recommend seeing him/her. I have gum disease which is reasonably under control at the moment, but it's the hygenist appointments that have really helped. She is quite scary too, so I always do as she tells me - I know she'll know if I skip on the interdental brushing etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now