Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

worried about 6 week old head shape

(9 Posts)
gorge2003 Fri 16-Oct-09 23:30:09

my dd who is 6 weeks has always preferred to sleep with her head to the right since she was born, no matter how many times i try and encourage her to sleep on the other side of her head she wont...so here's the thing, she has now developed quite a prominant flat spot at the back to the right of her head and it feels a bit softer than the other side..has anyone else had this? it is really noticeable...i keep trying to turn her head so she is on the other side but she just turns it back....should i take her to the docs or just mention to hv???

im just so worried about the shape of it and the fact it feels softer (her actual skull) than the left side!

someone please reassure me or something!

iliketurquoise Fri 16-Oct-09 23:35:56

some babies do that i guess. i dont know why, maybe their nostril blocked or not. you can ask to yr hv. i dont think it will be a long term problem. the head will take its normal shape i guess.

BiteOfFun Fri 16-Oct-09 23:41:11

I would speak to your HV. The same thing happened with my dd2- once the flat bit is there, they seem to naturally sleep that way because it's comfortable, but it just reinforces the shape.

If it's any consolation, you can't tell once their hair has grown in a bit, and with a girl this is obviously easier. But it still might be worth asking for advice, because I could have done with it!

LovelyDear Fri 16-Oct-09 23:43:18

i remember my hv specifically suggesting something or other to encourage my ds to look the other way. i think she said the neck muscles would develop better if this happened.

FishInMyHair Mon 19-Oct-09 10:42:36

I took dd to a chiropractor for something unrelated to this and they said to try and encourage babies to look both ways as it encourages brain development and that they can "forget" to look that way.
I have seen a children with flat heads and some worse than others. My nephew and neices have quite flat heads at the back which is more noticable on the boy but the girls have short hair too.
One of my friends ds had to wear a helmet as his skull had not settled down correctly from birth. I think they are used sometimes for "flat head syndrome"
I would keep an eye and possibly check it out if it gets worse.
Have you considered giving ds some tummy time each day to help strengthen neck. Apparently helps with development. I did this with both of mine and it may encourage ds to turn head the other way. As we are encouraged to put babes on back to sleep, a little supervised tummy time can only be a good thing.

deepdarkwood Mon 19-Oct-09 10:57:58

So, plagiocephaly (posh term for flat head syndrome) is much more prevelant nowadays, since the 'back to sleep' campaign. Which obviously is a very good thing for lots of reasons, but does mean babies spend a long time resting their soft little heads smile So the first thing is that it's not unusual.
And, yes corrective helmets are available, but only for older children (3/4 months plus I t5hink, and they are only available privately as far as I know.

dd had flat head, and hers was caused by torticollis - where the next muscles get tightened on one side in utero, so the baby tends to always sleep/hold head to one side. It sounds like that might be the case with your dd. It is very treatable with physio exercise, but the sooner you catch it, the better (so well noticed smile) I would go to your hv/doctor and mention torticollis. In the meantime, do everything you can to encourage better neck movement. Hold toys to her 'weak' side, place her so she has to look that way, as FishInMyHair suggests, lots of tummy time. If she's not keen, build up slowly - putting her over your knees on her tummy can be a good way to start. Does she tend to face towards the light when sleeping? If so, turn her cot round.

If it is torticollis, you've caught it really early, and once you've sorted that out, the flat head should self correct pretty easily - you've got lots of time whilst her head is still pretty squidgy smile

HTH

Seona1973 Mon 19-Oct-09 12:28:46

ds started getting a flat bit at the back of his head and I ended up getting a goi goi pillow which seemed to help it improve. There are several other products available too e.g. lovenest pillow, sleepcurve mattress, etc

Inghouls2 Mon 19-Oct-09 12:32:37

ds1 had a really flat head on one side... coupled with his cone head from an extended labour and he was quite the little beauty grin
I can remember being quite worried about it at the time and our GP just told us to encourage him to turn his head and place something of interest on the other side for him to look at...
Ds1 is now 10 and you would never know...

BettyTurnip Mon 19-Oct-09 12:35:08

GoiGoi pillows are fantastic. DD1 and DD2 both developed flat heads, bought a GoiGoi for dd3 and she has the most lovely rounded head.

Really recommend you buy one now as the earlier you try to rectify the problem, the better. 6 weeks is still young.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now