Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mooncup problems **TMI warning!!!***

(18 Posts)
sameheremetoo Fri 16-Oct-09 17:45:07

Please help me, I have just started using a mooncup. First couple of days I was absolutely delighted with it, but now... ...I have noticed a really revolting smell to it, even after I've washed it out. It really makes me feel sick. Now, I am quite oversensitive to smells, but I would not really expect one that would offend me from my own self. I am wondering if this sounds normal or whether I need to hot foot down to the doctors...? blush

I haven't got any other symptoms that you'd expect for any sort of infection, etc. And... really tmi... the smell is sort of gone off meaty... sorry sorry sorry

But please help me?! I am currently revolted by my own innards, it is not good blush

WestYorkshireGirl Fri 16-Oct-09 17:57:05

Hi there. Haven't used it myself, but have used a Diaphragm for years and they can get a bit smelly when the rubber is combined with certain fluids. I presume the Mooncup is also latex?

sameheremetoo Fri 16-Oct-09 18:19:10

yes, I guess it is latex, I'll have to google it and check. It's really yucky. I was so pleased about the whole mooncup thing, then this... blush maybe I'll get used to it...

jaje Fri 16-Oct-09 19:43:31

Hi Sameheremetoo
hope you are still watching for replies...
I have been using a moon cup for over 5 years now. I have never noticed a smell like you describe. The cup should be boiled for 5mins before use and again after your period is finished. Also give it a scrub so you get to all the ridges and the small holes. Whilst you are using it,it only needs a good rinse in water. Hope this helps a bit....

CarGirl Fri 16-Oct-09 19:46:16

mine doesn't smell at all and I'm very sensitive to smells.......

sameheremetoo Fri 16-Oct-09 21:27:10

yes I'm still watching. I didn't boil it though, I know it did say to do so, but I didn't blush

So that is my first thing to do tomorrow and hope that makes a difference...

thank you smile

CarGirl Fri 16-Oct-09 22:49:22

never boiled mine either....

jaje Fri 16-Oct-09 23:42:15

If you have never given it a good clean it would be worth doing that now so that it is well sterilised - a non scented soap will do - in case you have been introducing infection via the cup. Your nether regions obviously will have a "wiff" now and again but if all is well down there they never smell in a way that is offensive.G'night.

Macdog Sat 17-Oct-09 00:01:12

I know what you mean.

Boil it or use dilute Milton solution.

(been using MC for ages now and I'm not dead yet {hsmile])

Macdog Sat 17-Oct-09 00:01:43

Dammit!! smile

mathanxiety Sat 17-Oct-09 02:54:25

Are you sensitive to latex?

Macdog Sat 17-Oct-09 09:53:35

Mooncup made of silicone, not latex

sameheremetoo Sat 17-Oct-09 11:04:05

Hmmmm, well, I have googled it as well, and it does seem that there is a bit of an issue with smell for some people. So I'm less worried, although I think I might mention it to the doctor just in case.

btw I'm actually veggie, so when I said 'gone off meat' it was how I imagine that might smell, I'm not speaking from experience..! Maybe it was a little strong. Maybe it's just the way menstrual blood does smell when it's been exposed to the air a bit... who knows...

On a more exciting note, wow, didn't notice the halloween smileys hiding at the bottom!!!

grin

slimeoncrazydemon Sat 17-Oct-09 21:53:11

Message withdrawn

AnyFuleKno Sat 17-Oct-09 21:58:46

One of main benefits of mooncup for me is that it doesn't smell (in the way a pad or tampon would) as the contents haven't been exposed to the air and begun to break down.

blueshoes Sat 17-Oct-09 22:35:01

samehere, from your googling, what causes the smell for some people?

I never noticed a smell before.

zazen Sun 18-Oct-09 00:50:40

AFAIK it's just the smell of blood and mucus.
You might not have emptied it as often later on in your period, so the blood collected would have oxidized.
Was the smell that of wet metal / rust?
Was the blood brown in the MC?

sorry if TMI! shock

MatNanPlus Sun 18-Oct-09 00:56:57

I get a smell sometimes ( depends on type of discharge ; blood or more mucus ) and used to milton it daily but found it could still have a niff to it, now i have found a good wash in hot soapy water and reinsertion and often next emptying or the one after that the smell has gone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now