Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

should i worry about what baby ate off of surgery floor?

(11 Posts)
Funbags Fri 16-Oct-09 12:54:51

DS son is 8 months old. we were at Bf group in our local clinic yesterday when i pulled a piece of cotton wool out of his mouth that had a blood on it. No idea where it came from but he obviously picked it up off the floor. I'm fairly sure it came from a baby as people go in that roon after baby jabs, but cant be totally sure. Should I be worried or just forget about it?

I think I'm more nervy cos i work in housing and we have to all have hep jabs because of needles and other hazards tht we find.

Cometrickortreatingwithme Fri 16-Oct-09 12:59:34

I would speak to your gp about it.
I'm sure he will be fine more to put your mind at rest.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 16-Oct-09 13:06:24

Was the blood red (fresh) or brown (old). If it's the latter there is very little chance he has been exposed to anything as virii can't survive outside the body very long. If it was fresh blood and he has a cut in his mouth it is technically possible to transmit something but unlikely. The stomach acid pretty much kills everything anyway. Personally I'd forget about it.

corblimeymadam Fri 16-Oct-09 13:10:38

Message withdrawn

Funbags Fri 16-Oct-09 13:50:17

it was fresh. i think I am not going to see gp cos every chance it was just from a baby jab and I dont think I want to put DS to stress of any tests etc for something thats pretty unlikely, i will contact the practice manager tho as belgian bun suggests, generally its a clean place so hopefully they'll take this seriously. Thanksx

whomovedmychocolate Fri 16-Oct-09 15:18:58

belgianbun - but it's not necessarily the surgery's fault. They give a swab to an adult after they have a blood test it's mostly with the assumption they will put it in the bin or at least not just chuck it on the floor. Yes with kids you have to be careful but quite often when I've had blood tests they've said 'press that there on your DC's arm to prevent bleeding for a few minutes' and afterwards I've come away clutching the cotton wool unconsciously. Now I wouldn't just fling it on the floor but I bet a lot of people do.

aliasdictus Fri 16-Oct-09 17:33:43

Hey, hang on, hang on. Just pause before you do anything. Mouths are designed to try eating most things and fortunately the body is designed to both kill and also learn from contact with foreign material so there is virtually NO risk whatsoever. If you submit your baby to a battery of completely unneccessary tests you will forever wonder if you did the right thing. Secondly, you have a new baby and will be very reliant on ALL the surgery staff for the next few years to help you out and advise. Just think about that before you complain and lastly just consider that their response might be that you should have been supervising your child rather better.

Sorry but you could do yourself a lot of harm and anguish by jumping in with all guns blazing.

corblimeymadam Fri 16-Oct-09 18:08:15

Message withdrawn

mathanxiety Fri 16-Oct-09 19:09:44

How come your baby was on the dirty surgery floor in the first place? I think common sense about where you allow your baby to explore is necessary here too, as well as expecting the surgery to provide receptacles for cotton balls (they always stick a plaster on top of the cotton balls where I go) and putting up signs about proper disposal of bio hazards.

Funbags Wed 21-Oct-09 21:30:47

for the record the baby was at a brestfeeding group in a room provided by the pct for that purpose, not the general waiting room floor

mathanxiety Fri 23-Oct-09 18:23:40

I would ask about a hep test or the possibility of a shot, tbh, for your baby. Teething can sometimes leave gums raw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now