Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If its not gout then what is it?

(12 Posts)
nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Thu 15-Oct-09 14:00:09

DH in agony, went to docs last week who said he had gout - in absolute agony since last wed/ thurs around big toe and cant move the three toes next to em and cant get shoe on etc... and generally unhappy bunny hobbling about almost to tears at times. Today unable to take pain any more he went to the local walk in who he told same to and that they handt given any pain killers and it hasnt eased etc... and they have refered him back to gp who he cant get an appt with till early next week as they said dont think it is gout ..... grrrrrrrrrrr. Any ideas? I am making him ring for an emergency one when he gets in from work. Im ranting really sorry guys, just a bit worried about him.

moshie Thu 15-Oct-09 14:36:10

I think DH was only diagnosed with gout when he had to go to hospital because the pain was so bad, they thought the joint might be infected. It was his ankle so it was thought it was a sprain originally, but he had recurring problems with his foot before that.
The thing that pointed to gout, before he had blood tests, was a hard lump on the side of his ear!

nigglewiggle Thu 15-Oct-09 14:41:27

It does sound like gout TBH, but DH had symptoms which were thought to possibly indicate gout, but the pain and swelling was in his knees and ankles and not the classic big toe.

It was eventually diagnosed as reactive arthritis - a temporary condition which follows a virus. In his case he had been a bit run-down a couple of weeks before it started. It's a possibility because it can affect any joints.

HTH

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Thu 15-Oct-09 14:50:18

i googled stuff similar to gout and it said soem,thing about recent skin infection and needing intravenous antibiotics and hospitilazation as could be bacterial infection. His foot has been a bit peely and itchy likae bad athletes foot so now im thinkng this.......... anyway off on school run now then need to bully him into going back....... oh fun!

nigglewiggle Thu 15-Oct-09 16:09:49

Sounds very like gout to me, but I'm not a medical person.

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Thu 15-Oct-09 18:21:30

ok he went to the docs who said he was as sure as a sure thing it was gout and has gave him a prescription for colchicine and told him to take 3 a day enough to last till Monday or until he gets diarrhoea. He has made an appt for him to go back at 9am on Monday to see him again and another doctor regards his gout and his funny little spots on the soles of the foot which he thought were a cluster of verucas but doctor doesnt think they are. So hes sure its gout but going to have 2 docs look at him together anyway and probs take some blood. I have never heard of this drug and it came with a big info sheet seperate to the bottle which makes interesting reading. I have no idea if they are pain killers or anti-inflammatories and nore does dh but itsone down.......

nigglewiggle Thu 15-Oct-09 19:57:40

I hope he's ok. My dad had gout and it was so painful he literally couldn't walk. I'm not sure what he was prescribed, but that doesn't ring any bells.

Has he been given any advice about avoiding lifestyle triggers like alcohol, certain foods etc?

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Thu 15-Oct-09 21:12:26

no advice yet other than that of the web but hopefully he will as soon as this flare up goes and he goes again on Monday and has some bloods done. He doesnt have a vastly rich or bad lifestyle but he does have access to a works canteine i have no control over! Thanks for your input guys though its been helpful - gawd i hope i never suffer with it though! He has sweated buckets through the night with it and i am sick of soggy sheets needing washing!

PrincessFiorimonde Thu 15-Oct-09 22:15:16

DP has gout from time to time, once so badly he literally couldn't get out of bed for 2 days.

Trouble with researching 'lifestyle triggers' on the net is you end up with a list of almost every food and drink. But I do know many people with gout are sure there are certain triggers - e.g. shellfish - but these triggers may be different for different people.

However, our doc says main thing is that it is hereditary (and DP's son has it as well), another factor in DP's case is taking water tablets (prescribed for high bp; he can't win). Does either apply to your DH?

On the positive side, DP is prescribed Diclofenac and takes it when he feels a twinge (maybe every few months) - has not had a bad attack for a couple of years.

Good luck!

NumptyMum Thu 15-Oct-09 22:23:22

You can find out more info on Gout from Arthritis Care here; there are also forums where you could post any questions re specific medication, see if anyone else is using it. Arthritis Care also have a helpline/email helpline if your DH wants more info.

Hope that helps a bit - my Dad has gout, but it has been well controlled by drugs for many years.

alypaly Thu 15-Oct-09 23:34:03

nappyzonecantrunfort... colchicine is used in very short courses for acute gout attacks. It is quite a toxic drug but it is very effective. It is not a painkiller but it is thought to reduce pain by helping the uric acid crystals that accumulate in the gouty joints,to be excreted in the urine. the tablets should never be given to anyone else as the side effects can be quite horrible. Saying that not everyone gets side effects. smile

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Fri 16-Oct-09 09:52:55

thanks again, hopefully when its gone down and confirmed they will know for future and like others will be able to take something at a twinge rather than taking something bruutal after he has suffered this long time. I cant waittill hes back to normal and non grumpy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now