Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How old does Baby need to be b4 it is safe to paint?

(9 Posts)
Bexter Sat 11-Jun-05 22:20:15

We are decorating our bedroom (master not nursery) and DD is 10 months old. I am worried about painting and the effect (if any) it may have on DD. The paint is lead free and we will keep the upstairs rooms well ventilaied whilst work is in progress BUT - does anyone know the 'chapter and verse' with regard to painting i.e. is it OK for DD to be in the house when DH is painting?

jessicasmummy Sat 11-Jun-05 22:21:31

im sure it will be fine, but we edged on the side of caution and got dd to stay at my dads for a night just to be sure.

Bexter Sat 11-Jun-05 22:27:38

Thanks JM but that's not an option for us, we don't really have anywhere for DD to stay whilst the works goes on. I can find plenty of advice about painting whilst pregnant but no advice on how old babies/children should be before it is safe for them to be around paint!

mandyc66 Sat 11-Jun-05 23:10:47

cant really help (so why am I replying!) i think if the window is open the door closed and baby out of room, it should be ok. Stop painting a few hours before bedtime! when you have done can you pop over and do mine? thanks!

Bexter Sun 12-Jun-05 22:52:27

On yer bike Mandy!!! (But thanks for the support!). I think we'll err on the side of caution and have DD stay in her travel cot downstairs for a few nights until the niff of new paint has gone from upstairs!

pixiefish Sun 12-Jun-05 23:44:17

can you get the low odour paint?

rickman Sun 12-Jun-05 23:45:42

Message withdrawn

MamaMaiasaura Mon 13-Jun-05 00:01:46

rickman.. you read my mind.. that is quite scarey as i have a warped mind

anchovies Mon 13-Jun-05 07:29:25

No reason not to paint with your dd there, just get low odour paint if you're worried and open the windows.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now