Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pain under rib

(2 Posts)
TanyaBranning Wed 14-Oct-09 21:52:12

I have been having pain on and off underneath my right rib cage for a couple of weeks. It ranges from severe throbbing pain (only happened once and lasted about an hour) to slight niggly pain (most days) and a constant feeling of slight swelling/pressure in the area. I have a doc's appt next week, but what could it be?

moosemama Wed 14-Oct-09 22:59:49

Gallstones? Classic sign is pain under the right ribcage.

I have just been diagnosed with gallstones myself. In fact I had the ultrasound that confirmed the diagnosis this afternoon.

I don't have the pain under my right rib cage, but have had three specific episodes of severe pain. The feeling of pressure is another indicator apparently and I do have that, although it presents more as epigastric pain in my case.

You GP will probably send you for blood tests to check your liver function and whether or not there are any signs of inflammation to begin with. If he feels gallstones are a possibility he will either send you for an ultrasound himself or refer you to a gastroenterologist.

Gallstones are surprisingly common, according to my consultant about 20% of the population have them although they are not problematic for many of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now