Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Night sweats ,reasons for them ?

(9 Posts)
bumpsoon Wed 14-Oct-09 18:27:28

My mum told me today that my father has been having really bad night sweats ,he isnt unwell in any other obvious way . I have told her to get him to see the GP asap ,as in my experience night sweats are not a good sign ,but then i work on a heamatology ward . So what other reasons can we think of for night sweats ?

ThisPhantomPlopsPumpkins Wed 14-Oct-09 19:15:28

stress can cause night sweats, is he stressed?

How old is he?

bumpsoon Thu 15-Oct-09 19:12:31

No he isnt stressed ,he is so laid back he is flat ! He is mid 60s and not the fittest man on the planet ,but gave up smoking about 15 years ago and doesnt drink too much .

moosemama Thu 15-Oct-09 19:39:12

Some information here.

moosemama Thu 15-Oct-09 19:40:34

Oh sorry, forgot. Does he take any medication, perhaps for indigestion/reflux? Acid inhibiting type PPIs can cause night sweats.

bumpsoon Sat 17-Oct-09 16:28:58

I never knew that ! he doesnt take any prescribed medication . Apparently he has been having them on and off for six months ,but over the last month have become alot more frequent ,nightly infact . My mum is going to frog march him to the GP ,thank goodness

moosemama Sun 18-Oct-09 19:38:25

Glad he's going to get it checked out. Hope its something simple. smile

I didn't know about the PPI meds either until I was on them earlier this year, terrible insomnia and nightsweats ensued and the doctor confirmed it was the medication.

agedknees Sun 18-Oct-09 19:58:08

Do not want to scare you, but diabetes can cause night sweats. Make sure he is checked out for that at his GP's.

mumtojohn Sat 24-Oct-09 22:42:38

Hi,

I've been having nightsweats on and off for years (about 5 years). I go through stages of having them alot and then not at all for months. They are a part of my sleeping life now and I hardly notice them.

I've had blood tests and stuff and they showed nothing was wrong. A friend of mine has them too. I feel as good as I did 5 years ago and am assuming they mean nothing. I suppose mine could be stress related. I am 34.

just thought I would write and tell you that so that you don't assume the worst.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now