Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Qent to Practice Nurse Today She says i have a mass or something in my pelvic region im terrified

(12 Posts)
boodeniites Wed 14-Oct-09 17:08:55

we are going on holiday for a few days tomorrow i have had right lower abdominal pain for the last few days and was worried it was going to be a uti s i went to practice nurse she felt my abdomen and says she can "feel something" and asked if i was constipated etc(im not)and ive to go to female doctor as soon as i come back from holidays i am terrified and i just feel like cancelling our much waited for break does anyone know what it could be apart from the obvious horrors? im 46

bumpsoon Wed 14-Oct-09 18:23:52

cyst? they can be very big ,certainly big enough to feel and are benign .

PrettyCandles Wed 14-Oct-09 18:37:15

It could be a fibroid. I have one on the outside of my uterus, and, depending on where it sat, it could be felt from the outside. Because it is on a thin stalk, when it moves it can hurt.

I wasn't aware of it at all utnil my first pg. My ob-gyn was surprised to see it on the scan, because she said that she would have felt such a lump had it been present at my most recent exam less than a year prevsouly. So she was fairly certain it had been tiny at the time and was growing due to the pregnancy.

It certainly did grow very big, and moved about a lot. The movement sometimes caused me pain. But no problems during pg or labour. I had it investigated between pregnancies, and decided to leave it be for the time being. It was quite benign, harmless, just uncomfortable. At one point it may have been the cause of heavy periods.

I'm glad I left it alone, because, although it grew again during the next pg, it shrank afterwards and settled into a position where it doesn't move or cause me any problems. Periods became lighter again as well. So no need for surgical intervention. I just live with a Space Invader in my pelvis - I know it's there, but it doesn't bother me.

Hope this reasures you a bit. Try to put it out of your mind and enjoy the holiday. There are so many harmless or non-dangerous things it could be, and all far more likely than the big C-word.

BTW, at 46 you are very likely to have at least one fibroid, they are common as muck at our age grin

boodeniites Wed 14-Oct-09 18:38:35

i had ultrasound about a year ago nd they said i had a fibroid i googled and it says you cant usually feel them with abdominal examination

Drooper Wed 14-Oct-09 21:09:08

What time are you going away tomorrow?

To be honest, I wouldn't be sure how skilled the nurse is at abdominal palpation.

Although it is likely that all is normal, I would ring the surgery and tell them how worried this has made you and ask to be seen asap.

Then go away enjoy your break.

InSync Wed 14-Oct-09 21:27:45

I had a cyst that could be felt be a doctor - but he didn't know what it was.

At first he said it felt like I was 5 months pregnant (he did a test and I wasn't). Then said said it was probably a cyst or fibroid and sent me to A&E.

Have you any other symptoms apart from pain?

I would ring surgery in morning for reassurance like drooper says, and get an appointment with GP for when you get back.

PrettyCandles Thu 15-Oct-09 17:57:01

"usually". Under the right circumstances, mine could. And it was very big without actually causing me problems.

At 8w pg, before I knew that I had a fibroid, I could feel it moving inside me, I could feel it with my hands from the outside, I could sometimes even see it when I lay on my back. And I'm not skinny!

It sounds horrific, I know, but I'm telling you this deliberately, to show you that something that sounds awful can actually be quite harmless.

Hope you've had/are having a good break.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 16-Oct-09 08:37:30

Very wrong of the nurse to tell you someting like that IMO.

juggling Fri 16-Oct-09 17:57:18

no its not very wrong, it shows she has felt something and has asked her to see Gp for further information. what would you prefer, the nurse to find something, not say anything then let the patient leave uninformed and not given the choice to act upon the findings???
Nurses are trained in the jobs they do and do not perform any investigation without being fully competent.

Drooper Fri 16-Oct-09 21:49:48

I don't think the nurse was wrong to say something, but, she should have arranged for a GP review that day, rather than leave boodeniites worrying about a 'mass'.

juggling Sat 17-Oct-09 17:01:09

i agree drooper.

sincitylover Sat 17-Oct-09 19:23:00

my gp could feel my fibroids

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now